My nightmare has ended with photos I reinstall iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lke, Apr 20, 2015.

1. lke macrumors 6502a

Since updating to 10.10.3 my worst nightmare was PHOTOS, it was too slow and I could not import photos from my iphone and my ipad.

I hope that Apple understand that they have a big issue with photos and they will have to fix it, also I can't understand why they decided to drop iphoto if it was simply great with more features, faster, easier and better than Photos. They have to think again that photos was not a good idea and keep updating iphotos because it is great.

My photo library has more than 200,000 photos and I am sure that they have not check the photos software with that amount of photos that is why they think everything works ok, but when you have a lot of photos you need the best software available like iphoto.

Right now I am importing over 1000 photos from my ipad and everything was done in less than 7 minutes, and with photos I could only import over 30 photos and it crashed, and later when I try to transfer photos my ipad did not appear.

When you view 200,000 photos everything is slow with Photos, but iPhoto works always great without issues.

It is easy to use iphoto in 10.10.3 you have to follow this steps.

1- If you have the updated version of iphoto ( 9.6.1 ) then you can use it with 10.10.3

2- If you don't have the latest version iphoto will not work with 10.10.3 you need to do the following:

Open the App Store and go to Purchases see if iphoto is located there, if it is not located there go to your account in the main pages of the App Store and go to your account below Quick Links, there you will find a Hidden Items options, go to manage and click the unhide option of iphoto.

Then go to Purchases and search for iphoto, try pressing the update, if it works for you then you are done, if pressing update don't do nothing and iphoto is not updated then go to your Applications Folder and Delete Iphoto.

After deleting iPhoto go again to the App Store and then to the Purchases option and search for iPhoto and press the install option.

After the iphoto installation is done when you open iphoto you will get a message saying: Which photo library do you want iPhoto to use, press the Choose option because your library will be already selected.

Then You will receive a message saying: Your photo library has been migrated to Photo. ( You can open it is iphoto, but any changes such as editing or adding new photos will not appear in the Photos app.

Who cares using that ultra bug software, press open iPhoto and your nightmare will have ended.

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Personally I am going to stick with Aperture, it can do way more than I need, nor has the application ever been a problem for me. Only thing that disappoints is Apple have chosen to cease development.

Q-6

3. lke thread starter macrumors 6502a

After installing again iphoto I was able to import over 1800 photos from my iphone to iphoto.

Photos never let me import that photos to my mac.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh.

Sucks, man.

Everything working fine for me, and iCloud Photo Library imports pics from my iPhone shortly after I take them.

5. aicul macrumors 6502a

I just don't get Photos, it thinks it can do everything... but then fails miserably because the use cases on which it is designed are just not adapted.

Who came up with this bad compromise anyway ?

6. Doth macrumors member

Doth

I am sorry to hear about your challenges. For me, it is exactly what I needed and wanted. I even suffered through the long upload. I have nearly 200gigs of photos and videos of my 4 year old and only 1.5 upload speed....took almost 4 weeks!

7. DarthVader! macrumors member

DarthVader!

200,000 images. I think you may want something a little more robust then photos.

8. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

I think this may be the case - 'Photos' is perfect for my personal photos as I only have a few thousand & they only come to 40gb. For my work photos (wedding photography), I normally have around 50+ thousand Raws at the end of the season & would never contemplate putting them all into a single (LR) library - have you considered splitting your images into multiple libraries in 'Photos' (although I understand that kinda defeats the whole purpose of 'Photos' with the yearly view etc.)

Alternatively have you thought about using Lightroom/Capture One/DXO etc. as they are probably more geared to what you need as opposed to 'Photos' which is unashamedly consumer orientated?

9. StoneJack macrumors 6502a

StoneJack