My OCD wins. Bar of soap it is.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ferris23, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

So I have been loving life with my Black 16gb Iphone, but just so damn anal about the tiny scratch it somehow got and shows like it's proud of it and the finger schmutz is driving me insane.

I really think I will be happier with the white even though I think overall the black looks better.

I've said in this forum that I don't like the white, but the positives of it staying clean combined with my OCD to keep all things clean just really make black more annoying that it's worth to me.

Did I need to post my own thread about this? Probably not, but it's Friday and I wanted you all to know that the world will watch me talk on my shiny bar of soap!

C'mon white owners, tell me I'm not making a mistake.

2. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

the 3g reception is going to be awful :( i'd stick with the black iphone :rolleyes:

why not get a case/BSE? even if it's already scratched/scuffed a bit the BSE/BG/etc should do a good job hiding those and protecting it from more scratching.

3. islandtitan macrumors regular

islandtitan

Keep in mind that the white phone is not "Clean", you just can't see the "schmutz".

I too am OCD and I'd rather be able to see the "schmutz" so I'd know when to clean it and that it was clean when I was finished.

4. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

LOVING my white phone! Its just beautiful and appears to be clean most of the time. The Apple logo on the back does get some fine scratches easily, but the white is very hard to tell any smudges or scratches on. I kinda love how the white sticks out more than the black would ;)
    I dont think you'll be sorry with the white phone.

5. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

6. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

love my white iphone. but if you are really that OCD, just use a case.

7. izibo macrumors 6502

I am starting to believe that people don't really understand what OCD is...

8. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Agreed. Wanting your iPhone to look good and not all scratchy does not constitute OCD. Having an irrational compulsive anxiety about a bit of oil is OCD. One who suffers from OCD would not be content with simply not being able to see the "finger schmutz."

"Anal," yes. OCD, no.

9. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

I have the Griffin Elan Form case and had a Best Skin Ever on it. The phone wouldn't fit in the case with the skin on, so I had to remove it.

10. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes an anxiety disorder most commonly characterized by obsessive, distressing, intrusive thoughts and related compulsions (tasks or "rituals") which attempt to neutralize the obsessions. OCD is distinguished from other types of anxiety, including the routine tension and stress that appear throughout life. The phrase "obsessive-compulsive" has become part of the English lexicon, and is often used in an informal or caricatured manner to describe someone who is meticulous, perfectionistic, absorbed in a cause, or otherwise fixated on something or someone.

See also, fingerprints, smudges and schmutz.

You must not know what OCD is.

11. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I guess YOU don't know how to read :p

12. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

No, I do. Worrying about finger prints is just part of my problems. ;)

There must be a fine line between anal and ocd.

Who knows...

13. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i would get one of those skins (bestskinsever, bodyguardz, or invisibleshield). they'll provide the best protection from scratches and fingerprints

14. minik macrumors 65816

15. bigmouth macrumors 6502

My white is a thing of beauty. I got a rubber incase but am looking for a good clear case to show off the white!

16. mark34 macrumors 6502a

just my opinion:

I am extremely happy with the white. The black would have driven me crazy with the fingerprints and it just doesn't feel as fun to me. The white looks great, it doesn't stand out or seem odd. It looks perfectly manly and professional, for those silly enough to think otherwise. I am always surprised at seeing the black now, seems kind of bland, still really nice looking (when it is wiped off very carefully, looks whack with all the smudged and fingerprints).

17. downwardspiral macrumors newbie

I love my white iPhone. Honestly though, I dont even notice that it is white because I always have the LCD facing me. Good luck with it!

18. Pooshka macrumors 65816

is that true?

19. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Your ocd is going to go into overdrive with a white phone. Wait till the scratches collect dirt. Or wait till u add a skin(IS, BG,BSE) and grit and grime gets in teh cracks. LOL

20. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i was referring to the literal bar of soap that i posted along with that comment :D

21. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

*cough* Try pasting the rest of the Wikipedia summary:

Regardless, I agree with some others saying that the white iPhone will only serve to further highlight the dirtiness that will get on your phone. Better to stick with black, even though the white iPhone does look rather pretty.

22. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

WHITE IS A NO GO!

My god I wish they still had brushed aluminum. The white shows dirt in the cracks and just looks too awkward with the 2 tone color, and I can't get over the bar of soap reference. All the white phones had crap in the cracks, specks all over....there is no perfect color in regards to cleanliness. I just like the black and am going to live with the shmutz, or just leave the damn thing in my case.

I went the the Apple store and fondled a white for about 20 minutes, the manager even said I have 30 days and just think about it and ask for her if I change my mind. She did say (in my ear) that she thinks white is a little.....not manly to be P.C.

I think the better fix is to get on some sort of medication again.

:D

:apple:

Bottom line, back with black.

23. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Wait. There is a reception difference between the white an black one? I didnt know that. I have had any complaints, yet.

And to Ferris23- I dont think I have OCD, but I have noticed one thing. When my case is taken off, there is a lil dust that you can see. Thats all. If someone touches the apple, you can see a some prints, but nothing you cant just wipe and go :)

24. minik macrumors 65816

Okie, now I'm completely lost. Can we just ignore the whole white and black thingy?

25. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmm....sounds a lot easier than the buffing I have to give my phone. The manager said I have 30 days so I'll sit on this one for a while and think about it. Thanks for all the help though from all you white phone owners.