Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Dear Arn and Mudbug,

I suppose this is mainly directed at Mudbug, as you are head honcho of the forums as of late, so this is going out to you. Myself, and many other members of MacRumors, think that a sub-forum specifically for people's Auctions in "Marketplace and Classifieds" is nothing short of a great and much needed idea. We would all appreciate this as it would seperate the actual sales people are trying to make with the Mac community (which are obviously much more personal) from the endless amount of, namely, eBay auction links posted. We value the forum as a medium where myself and fellow members can offer eachother deals on the things we all love the most, Macs. When an eBay link is posted for something you have been dying to get your hands on, all excitement is lost. I see no way that this thought is a bad one and we would all appreciate at least consideration of this idea and hope that you take our idea seriously. Thank you for your time!

t300 and the MacRumors Community​

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Mudbug said:
so as to not let a lull happen, I've brought it up for discussion with the mods. I'll get back to you.

Thank you very much!

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Elan0204 said:
Can we also add a rule requiring sellers to post an asking price for traditional (non-auction) sales?

Yes! I totally forgot about that. It would certainly be a plus.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Elan0204 said:
Can we also add a rule requiring sellers to post an asking price for traditional (non-auction) sales?

There's something there already, but the wording could be made stronger:
For the seller:
3. Offer to sell or trade only if you are serious. Ask for a price that you consider reasonable and will accept.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Rower_CPU said:

Thanks for pointing that out Rower CPU, but you are right, the word needs to be stronger and convey a sense of a mandatory rule.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Rower_CPU said:

Yeah, I have actually posted that in someone's thread when I asked them to post an asking price, and they still didn't post one. They just got mad at me. And later Doctor Q deleted my post. So for now, I guess it really isn't a rule that is going to be enforced.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
My only worry in an auction subsection would be that it might encourage a lot of people to sign up an account here only to post their auction. Maybe just having people put the standard "FA:" in front of the title would be sufficient... but either way I won't care... just throwing in my piece... :)

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
SilentPanda said:
My only worry in an auction subsection would be that it might encourage a lot of people to sign up an account here only to post their auction. Maybe just having people put the standard "FA:" in front of the title would be sufficient... but either way I won't care... just throwing in my piece... :)

I see what you are saying but I totally doubt that. It would be no different than the possible people doing it now in the forum. As I said before, I believe this idea comes with zero negatives, and all positives.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Okay, so I have given it some time and was wondering if anything ever came about this, mods?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There are no plans to add a separate auction subforum. We're not dismissing the idea without thought; we have discussed this and the other suggestions and will continue to do so. We don't want MacRumors to be used simply as a way to advertise sales elsewhere, so our rules are designed to facilitate member-to-member sales here, even though we know that auction links can provide additional information about a seller.

All of these choices involve tradeoffs. For example, we could require that sales be only for Apple-related items, but we choose not to, as long as most sales naturally happen that way.

Member feedback is welcome and we will continue to refine the Marketplace rules. In a rule update coming this month we will follow the suggestion to be more specific about what information you must supply and when you can link to an auction at eBay or elsewhere.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Doctor Q said:
There are no plans to add a separate auction subforum. We're not dismissing the idea without thought; we have discussed this and the other suggestions and will continue to do so. We don't want MacRumors to be used simply as a way to advertise sales elsewhere, so our rules are designed to facilitate member-to-member sales here, even though we know that auction links can provide additional information about a seller.

All of these choices involve tradeoffs. For example, we could require that sales be only for Apple-related items, but we choose not to, as long as most sales naturally happen that way.

Member feedback is welcome and we will continue to refine the Marketplace rules. In a rule update coming this month we will follow the suggestion to be more specific about what information you must supply and when you can link to an auction at eBay or elsewhere.

Well, I do thank you very much for your honest answer and respect the decision that was made. I do hope that these upated rules will include a mandatory clause of posting a price. Thanks again! Keep up the good work!

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Maybe you should change the rules to be; "Use FA for auctions only and FS for sale from member-to-member instead of as auctions also. Result in not doing so will result in a removal of the thread."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.