My only gripe with Touch ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tgwaste, Sep 22, 2013.

1. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

I think it should work across the board. Go to leave a review in the app store.. needs a password. Go to buy something from the apple store.. needs a password.

Come on Apple. I should always be able to use my print now with any Apple App. I thought that was one of the goals of this?

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Patience... my young padawan ;)

It's supposed to be coming with iCloud Keychain in the 7.1 update.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

they will open it up in the future, just wait for now.

4. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Ah awesome. I mean I really love touch ID dont get me wrong when I go to buy a song and I can just touch, thats freaking brilliant.

5. matttye macrumors 601

I did suspect that's why they held the feature back, but where have you read this?

6. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Mainly intuition and prayer... it's been doing the job for religions for centuries now ;)

7. matttye macrumors 601

Haha fingers crossed!

I hope if they do integrate it with keychain, they support multiple password stores accessible by one or more prints rather than just a single password store accessible by anyone whose print can unlock the phone.

8. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Oh man, that is the dream matttye :)

Can't wait for the day I don't have to remember my 59 passwords for various websites. I can just input them once into iCloud Keychain and then scan my finger anytime I want to log in. Get goose bumps just thinking about it.

9. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Good thing too otherwise millions upon millions of people would starve on a daily basis.

Seems a small price to pay to annoy you with religion wouldn't you agree?

10. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Not sure what the point of your post is.

What does religion have anything to do with starvation? And are you saying religion is an annoyance to you? :confused:

11. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Im saying religion (which clearly annoys you based on your initial comment) greatly helps with starvation and that that help is a small price to pay for your gripes with it.

I'm also wondering why you chose to make any comment what so ever regarding religion in this post. It was completely unnecessary and provided no value.

12. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I can make any random comment I want about religion, politics, anything as long as it's not mean spirited. Intuition and prayer have been huge parts of religion for forever. That's not a negative comment in the slightest and I'm not sure why me saying that suddenly got you in a hissy fit all of a sudden.

As for value to the thread? How about you check your attitude and accusations at the door then and not derail the thread like you did over nothing to begin with. I kept this thread about Touch ID and iCloud Keychain, then you come along and got bent out of shape trying to say that I have a gripe with religion when I don't and you sure as hell don't know a anything about me :rolleyes:

13. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

You can use touch ID to purchase apps from the App Store/iTunes. When it asks for the password, just rest your finger on the home button (don't press it), and In about 1 sec your download will start.

14. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I actually got a "scan fingerprint" pop up rather than a password pop up this morning when downloading an app.

15. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

I saw it asking for password in some videos. But it doesn't really matter. The main thing is you can purchase apps, music etc with touch ID.

16. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Sometimes it's kind of finicky though when it comes to app purchases and asks for my password, while other times it asks for my fingerprint.

I need to test it out more to be sure.

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Do you have any source to back this claim? I am sure we will see more and more in the future, but I haven't seen any mention about the features of the 7.1 update.

----------

Yes, it works, but if you reboot your device then you will have to put your iTunes password when purchasing for the first time after reboot...

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

My guess is 7.1 will focus a lot on the iPad - and a lot on Touch ID (Which they will bring to the new iPad, maybe not the mini yet...)

I am thinking they bump the "base" iPad (full-size) to 32GB. They do this to support multiple user accounts, controlled by Touch ID (And to further differentiate from the iPad Mini.) And of course adding a third-party API to identify a user inside of an app, so you could lock your Mint.com profile, for example without setting another pin code.

19. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

That would be awesome if multiple profiles could be used on the iPad, I think it's a feature that's been overlooked for quite a while. However, I don't see it happening. Apple would rather you buy another iPad instead of sharing. I don't foresee Touch ID making it to the iPad just yet either.

I do hope that 7.1 bring more integration of Touch ID, and I think it will. It's still fresh and they will come up with different usages for it I'm sure. For now, I'll enjoy what I can use it for.

20. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Ya the App store works great but not the Apple store. Ya a bit confusing. Hopefully soon though.