My opinion on why apple would make the iphone nano and not for AT&T...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSX, Jan 13, 2009.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

We know that AT&T has the rights to the iphone for a certain number of years, but they dont own the rights to the iphone nano. So if apple made the nano they could sell it to another carrier (sprint , t-mobile, ect.) and get a whole new group of buyers who didnt want to switch carriers to get the iphone. If it was released on AT&T who would buy the nano over the iphone 3g, i mean it would be sort of a down grade some what, as far a screen size and stuff.

2. dual64bit macrumors 6502

What if it comes in at a cheaper price-point, that would also attract another huge crowd similar to your comparison of attracting people on a different network.....

Just think different man..

3. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I would believe AT&T to be smarter than that and sign an exclusivity agreement to ANY phone Apple comes up with

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Other phone carriers had their chance, they all denied Apple, except for AT&T.
    I wonder if AT&T also has a the iPhone OS in the contract.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I love how many people come here thinking that AT&T just "forgot" to do this. I doubt it.

6. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

True, but now that they see how well the iphone sold for ATT and increased the customer base, the other carriers would want an apple product in their line up of phones even if it cost them more than what apple came to them with the iphone in the first place.

7. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

If iPhone Nano was targeted towards the Chinese consumers as the analyst said in the news article, I think Apple would make the wise choice of selling it as prepaid. Basically, European and Asian choose their phones and cell phone carriers separately. I think the North American cell phone market model should change.

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

No one wants an iphone nano!!!! Lets move on with an iphone pro, or a big upgrade. Unless this smaller iphone isnt a giant leap im gonna throw fecal matter at steve jobs.

9. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Speak for yourself pal.

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

There are many people who want an iPhone nano or an iPhone where you don't have to pay the $30 data plan and wouldn't mind having internet related apps rely on Wi-Fi.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you mean like an ipod touch:eek:

if you say have a phone included as well, i think it might just be easier to have att start offering plans not requiring a data plan

12. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Yea, if you have a iphone 3g you dont want a nano.

But if if T-mobile or sprint had the nano all their customers would want one because it would be the best phone they'd carry. The nano would be better than the instinct or the storm.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Even if this is legally possible in the Apple-AT&T contract, do you think Apple would want to 1) risk a costly lawsuit over this, and 2) risk alienating AT&T, a major business partner?

I still think the reasoning behind any said iPhone nano is a cheaper version that could be sold to a broader market with a data plan not necessary (or even available).

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

That's basically what I mean.
    With a phone, and by the time this supposed iPhone nano comes out we will have an iPhone 4G, there for the nano would probably have EDGE and 3G but won't effect internet reliant applications at all.

15. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

AT&T would still have the iPhone and all it's upgrades. Yes AT&T is a major apple partner, but who to say that another carrier wouldn't be another major partner. Just think of all the money apple makes from AT&T and then people buy apps too and apple gets a cut, if apple put the nano on another carrier it would be double the money from the phones and apps.

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

17. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Ya, evidently they don't know how to search.

18. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

I didn't see another topic like mine where the nano goes to another carrier. So u need to quit wasting bandwidth with your pointles replys.

19. TJisYeah macrumors member

WHY do people want an iphone NANO??? seriously

why not want a new iphone like one of the other posters said iphonePRO or an awesome upgrade with tons of new features. why do people want apple to take a step back in iphone development and work on a crappy small phone when they could use that energy to make good features and hardware upgrades on the iphone....

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The "pointles replys" will be anywhere iPhone nano is mentioned. And your comment was extremely stupid because the amount of bandwidth taken to post a comment on this forum is a fraction of a fraction of the smallest fraction of the available bandwidth.

No more iPhone nano threads would be really great.

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Because people want a smartphone without having to pay for it. I sincerely hope Apple doesn't go down to that level.

And to all who say "why shouldn't they?"; Apple is NOT a cell phone company, as much as you'd like them to be. If people want a cheaper phone without a data plan, get a Nokia or a Motorola. They're nice phones. The iPhone is a smart phone. Take a look at the Blackberry forums. Are people over there saying "Where's my Bold nano!!!?!?!?!?!?"? I haven't been there but I wouldn't assume they would be because Blackberries are smart phones and everybody knows it.

Get over it already.

22. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

+1

23. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Isn't it called the BB PEARL. LOL

Like I said already no one with an iphone is going to want a nano but give the nano to another carrier and see how many people switch phones to the nano.

24. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

I own a BB Pearl and for one, it does everything any other BB does. Secondly, in order to use any of the BB features (mail, BBM), you need a Blackberry data plan.

LOL :rolleyes:

25. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

I also had BB pearl i sold it in order to get the iPhone 3g