My parents are now both ONE OF US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, May 27, 2011.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I got my Dad switched over to a Mac before I even did. Well, about a year after getting my mom an iPhone when AT&T rolled out the cheaper data plans, I've got my dad an iPhone 4 refurb on the way. His old Sony cheapo seems to have died, and I think he was wanting all of the neat extra features you could get on an iPhone. Plus iPhones aren't prone to pocket dial or have some weird AT&T button that is like a cash cow for unwanted data connection. If he was going to spend a few cents each month on data connection, I wanted him on an iPhone so he could get something out of it.

Anybody else gotten a couple of baby boomers into the iPhone club? My newspaper's publisher is and iPhone and iPad owner, and the editor owns an iPad. The editor wants an iPhone, but he's on T-Mobile.

Apple just might have a winner with this thing.

2. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

My mom got white iPhone 4 recently.. Is annoying because I have to teach her every little s****. She ask too many questions about it, is her first smartphone.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Do not think you did not annoy your mother a few times. Shame on you!:mad:

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I showed my parents the light their only apprehension is money. They are always grabbing my iPad or asking to use my MacBook pro! When cheaper data plans come out everyone in my family will have an iPhone.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I think her going through labor would win her a few points, but that's just me. I owe my mother no such debt.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I got both my parents to switch last fall also. I think it's a step up from the flip phones they had. :cool:

7. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I gave my parents my 4-5 year old iMac when I purchased my current MBP 3 year ago. My mom recently purchased a 1st gen iPad for herself when the prices dropped on them. I jokingly tell my mom she should get a iPhone too, but she's not very tech savy to begin with.

8. JASApplications macrumors 65816

My Parents have been Mac for like 10 years now! They've also had quite a few iPods but have never had an iPhone! However a few weeks ago my Dad got a new 1st Gen iPad when the prices dropped :)

9. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

My dad got a 3G when It came out through his company, then bought a Macbook Pro when I bought a 3GS. I bought last year the IP4 and on my birthday a Macbook Air, and he didn't like the fact that I got an IP4 before him, so he bought one for himself a month later.

10. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I too bought my parents both iPhones recently as well as an ipad for the two of them. Dad is 70 and Mom is 66. I also, bought them a 27' iMac last year.

They really enjoy it which makes me happy.

Sure they have ALOT of question and it can get annoying when they ask the same ones over and over. BUT, I just smile and help them because I know they may not be around much longer and when they go I'll miss not having them there to ask me how to send an email...:)

11. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

I do help my mom, but that's exactly what annoys me. Her asking the question over and over. My moms 40..

One thing I always laugh at is when she's listening to pandora and a commercial comes on. First time it happen she looked me with a wtf face like why does this have commercials. Haha. Priceless.

12. eseminario macrumors member

I wish my dad is alive to teach him every single detail of my gadgets...
    I've just created my mom's first email ... iPhone ..uhmm...maybe someday if she wants to ;)

13. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Hahaah! I understand where the frustration comes in, though. :D

14. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Im a boomer. I have always hated Bill gates windoze software. I have always disliked the pc hardware and how it fails and dies so often.

I have a duo core intel chip imac 20" and have never looked back. had a lightning strike that killed the computer and damage was limited to a memory simm that was replaced and all was as before.

PC's are crap. Apple just simply works! It was a no brainer to go into an apple phone when I could for the 3G and then GS and now 4.

I don't care to enable this or figure out that to use a phone. I just pick it up and use it. Thats apple products mostly!

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Hmmmm....I don't know....maybe we should wait it out a bit longer to see if these phones catch on.....;)

My mother got an iPhone 4 when it launched in Canada.....she stood in line for 5-6 hours to get it. Her primary reason to get it was for FaceTime (so she can see my son.....we FT a few times a day), but she obviously uses it for so much more. She had an iPod touch for 1-2 years before she got the iPhone, so she already knew what she was doing.

My wife's uncle, who is in his 70's, got an iPhone 4 when it launched in Canada as well. Apparently, he spends A LOT of time at the Genius Bar asking many questions. They must love him there.:p

My wife's cousins, who are in their late 60's, got Verizon iPhone 4s. I don't think they have any clue how to really use them.....they got them because they think it's a status thing. :rolleyes:

16. collisos macrumors member

4/5 of my family are onto iPhones and soon to be 5/5. Haha my dad has been an mac guy since day 1. Had the first iPhone, now the 4, has apple TV iMac, my brothers and I have macbooks haha were an apple family through and through.

17. eseminario macrumors member

I almost forgot

:apple::apple::apple:
    My wife is one of US begining Tomorrow!!! I finally got she move from Blackberry to iPhone 4 woohoooooooooooooooooo :cool::D:cool::D:cool::D

18. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

My 75 year old grandma has a 3gs got it 6 months ago she even streams music and calls on bluetooth in her car!!!!!

19. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Cool grandma 8) tell her I said hi.

20. luked14 macrumors 6502

My grandparents now both have a 3GS. They've mastered the basics (texting, email, safari) fairly easily, and they're addicted to Words With Friends. They come to me with questions sometimes but I definitely don't mind helping them.

21. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i got my mom an iphone, switched a few friends to ipads, and a like 5 friends to macs. we are hoping att does family data plans like verizon bc then my sister and dad will get an iphone.

22. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I somehow convinced my mom to get a VZW iPhone the week it came out lol... She already had an iPod Touch 1G so I didn't really have to teach her how to do anything (thankfully) :rolleyes: