My Party Is in Denial About Donald Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Thank you Jeff Flake. Finally someone speaking out. More need to stand up to this paper tiger.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/31/my-party-is-in-denial-about-donald-trump-215442

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Trump got republicans house & senate,,,,,,,,,,,, and a few states well after he was elected...........

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

True but the clock didn't stop, right? That was then. This is six months down the road. you know how politics works: "What have you done for me lately?"

When GOP think about that w/ respect to Trump, they come up with crickets. He tries to end-run their priorities in favor of his (example, get money for wall via boot the trans soldiers, not even waiting for their study to complete and saying "his" generals approved, the liar!) and now he wants to work on healthcare and ryan wants to move on to the tax reform because october is coming and along with it a debt ceiling crunch. Etc. etc.

Plus now there's no Reince Priebus playing up a policy link to Congress -- i.e., to nudge Trump twice a week and say stuff like "Have you thought about calling Ryan to see if he needs any help arm twisting someone on the tax cuts?"..

No, the Don he's tweetstorming, too busy to be bothered with helping lead the party he rode into town with.

Seriously I hope Kelly grounded the Don's smartphone. We need at least the semblance of a regular president in the White House for awhile. It's been fun, this BS, but there's actually real stuff the government does for us all that it's not actually doing right now. And the worst part is, nobody in that iteration of the White House even cares.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

5. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

George H.W. Bush lost reelection. G.W. lost the popular vote. Trump lost the popular vote (by a larger margin). The electoral college is keeping the republicans in the White House, but as the younger generation become the majority of voters, I think it will get increasingly harder unless they change their message and actions. Very little positive things are coming from the White House - bans, repeals, harping on about "beautiful, clean coal" (a dying industry; put them to work in a growing sector - renewable energy, wind and solar technology). They had 8 years to enact a game plan. That is going to waste on defending the dumbest of issues instead of getting actual work done.

In Trump's defense, he inherited good job numbers and job growth. That hasn't changed, and the momentum is continuing. If he can keep that up by the middle of his term and beyond, that is something good. Short of that, I think dems have a good shot at midterms and the 2020 elections. They simply need not be complacent.

6. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

It is good to see a Republican Senator speaking out against Trump, and against the failures of the Republican Party in general. The party may have technically won lots of power in recent elections, but it is clear that this has come at the sacrifice of conservative ideals, making the wins pointless. Conservatives need to stand up and take their party back, or to abandon it outright and find a new organization that will honor their ideals.

The modern Republican Party stands for nothing.

7. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

What is wrong with Betsy DeVos?

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the only way I see trump winning again in 2020 is if Clinton or Kamala Harris run.......aside from that I just don't see him there.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

At what cost?

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So did the TEA Party. Look how they got treated. Yeah.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well... it puts a very high premium on winning. On governance, not so much... for the very reason you stated.

My dinner would burn if I answered that fully from my point of view. She was very nearly denied her cabinet post by the Senate thanks to her flimsy grasp of education issues as revealed during her confirmation hearing. No tiebreaker vote has ever been required before on a presidential nomination for a cabinet chief. Two senators of the President's party even voted against her, which is practically unheard of.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Where to begin.
    She has zero background in education for starters.
    She's a strong supporter of vouchers and charter schools, but they come at the detriment of public education funding.
    Look its what happened to Detroit. The program she touts as a success (over inflated numbers and no accountability) was deemed an utter disaster by just about everyone who studied the outcomes.

Read her bio and tell me she's qualified.
    Basically not someone I want guiding the direction of education in the U.S.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

don't care as long as Clinton didn't get it :D

14. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Every so often I have to remind myself of why I have certain individuals on Ignore.

They never disappoint. :rolleyes:

15. adamneer macrumors 6502

Too bad if you skip down to the bottom of this excerpt, you find that his proposed solutions absolutely do not include removing Trump from office. He is no better for admitting faults than the rest of his colleagues who offer an endless supply of disdain and condemnation for the president's actions, yet no real attempt to stop them.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

"Not liking" Trump isn't grounds for Impeachment.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I suppose you are satisfied with him, really? :oops:

He is the epitome of a political shooting star. Where's the beef? He represents the sickness present in our populace who first and foremost put their trust in a fast talking con man. And the results are turning out worse than anyone actually imagined they could be. He's anything but a slick operator, more like the 3 Stooges stuffed into one person.

[​IMG]

18. adamneer macrumors 6502

It's kind of pointless to engage with you on this subject, but I'd just like to point out the fact that by now, very few noteworthy republicans deny the fact that Trump has committed impeachable offenses. To them, the determining factor for impeachment is a combination of the severity of his actions and how likely an impeachment would hinder the party's reelection hopes. But perhaps you'd like to apply for the recently re-vacated position of Press Secretary, since you seem to have a knack for shoulder-shrugging.

19. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

The problem is that, in the American system, every president has committed impeachable offenses. Because impeachment is a political process, not a legal one. It is based on people's opinions; if a president is well liked by the majority of citizens, he could commit a heinous crime and yet retain his office. If a president is loathed by a majority of citizens, he could act in a saintly manner and still be railroaded out of office.

Every president is going to have some quantity of citizens wanting to impeach him. Until a majority do, however, it is a pointless effort to engage in.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Surely if he has committed impeachable offenses they are minutes away from filing articles of impeachment, yet nothing.

21. adamneer macrumors 6502

You do know that articles of impeachment have already been filed right?

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

By one democrat and they've went no where.

23. adamneer macrumors 6502

I don't disagree, but that's kind of the point I was getting at with my first comment. Here we have a man with the lowest poll numbers in modern history, failing to accomplish anything of substance while quite blatantly disregarding his position, and republican lawmakers simply scoff at him and apparently write books about how he's damaging their party. Until impeachment is given serious consideration by republican officials, I have absolutely no interest in hearing their self-loathing admonishments.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2017 ---
    Do you honestly think your responses demonstrate a superior, rational argument?

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Four words: guns for grizzly bears

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Once again liberals pretend to care about war/spending/civil rights so yeah it works for me