My pending charge for my iPhone 4 was removed from my bank account? WTF?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I had a charge for the iPhone that I pre-ordered through Apple that was pending on my bank account since I ordered Tuesday, but now it completely disappeared, and there is a $4.74 charge from the online Apple store instead. It also removed my charge for my bumper case. I checked online and my order is still in and valid.

Was it just pre-authorization, and I will be charged again when it ships?

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, Apple should charge it again when it ships.

Although, the charges for the iPhone and dock are still on my credit card statement as pending.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

^This.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I had the same thing happen - don't worry I called Apple and this is typical!

5. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Same thing happened to me last summer. Really scared me until I found out that that was SOP.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In the past apple has put a hold on the funds, then charge it. In some cases causing a double charge to sit on your credit card (hold + actual charge).

I'm not sure why they would release a hold and not charge it, but perhaps they're prepping the phones for shipment and are in the process of charging the credit cards now.

7. the2352 macrumors newbie

Same thing happened through iPad orders, you'll get charged again at shipment

8. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. sasessiontc macrumors member

Saw the same today. I was a little worried. Thanks for the clarification.

10. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

I know that my bank only allows a company to place a funds hold without a charge for 3 days, then they either have to charge or release. I'm sure most banks have a similar policy

11. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Nice....my at&t store canceled my order when the charge dropped off. WTFWTFWTFWTF!!!!!!!! I called and flipped the hell out on them. She basically told me SO SAD TOO BAD. She also said I would be notified by email when I could pre order again sometime after the 24th of July. Needless to say the F bomb got dropped a few times and she hung up on me. I then proceeded to call at&t and ask to speak to customer retention and ask that my contract be canceled. They then proceeded to call the store and tell them that this was the wrong thing to do. I was on hold for 20 mins while she corrected the retail stores f up.

The way at&t wanted it to be done was if the charge dropped off they where supposed to continue the order and bill your phone bill for the charges. The Retail stores don't know their ass from a hole in the wall. If you have an issue with your order call the Main customer support number not the morons at the retail stores.

12. emaja macrumors 68000

Online retailers do this all the time if there will be a delay between the order time and the shipping date. They can't charge you until the item actually ships.

Example - I ordered a bunch of stuff from NHL.com when the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. I did this on 6/10 and they authorized the entire amount of the purchase even though some of it was not available right away - like the DVD. They then shipped parts of my order in two different shipments on two different days, and charging (an I mean actual posted transactions, not authorizations) my account separately for those two shipments. My total order was about $130 and so far, transaction for $40 and $30 have posted to my account.

13. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

it clearly said no debit cards and you fools didn't read or can't read so you are screwed if your orders get canceled.

14. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

theres no way to tell if it's a debit card if it's ran as credit through the visa/MC system. Also only the retards at ATT had this rule.

15. emaja macrumors 68000

I would have hung up on you too. No need to be an ass. I know the rep speaks for AT&T, but she didn't do it personally and in no way did she deserve that decidedly non-adult behavior from you.

It's a freakin' phone, not a kidney.

16. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

your bank knows and they usually only hold pending charges for 3 days.

17. iadam09 macrumors regular

18. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

that is why they let the charge fall off and recharge on shipping day.

19. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

My pre-authorizations/charges are still showing in my account online. What's weird is that I have like 4-5 $1 charges from Apple too.

I paid with (3) gift cards and a credit card. So, I got (3) $1 charges and the credit card charge that are all still there.

I'm sure it'll all work itself out by next week. :cool:

20. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Maybe they do this as a way for checking "insufficient funds" on the cardholders account?

21. conner696 macrumors newbie

I ordered on the 15th but the pending charge was removed last night, but my order has already shipped and my iphone is now "Package available for clearance" in anchorage, whats going on; shouldn't it have charged the card if it shipped already?