My phone still had some username & password info even after restore.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bathplug, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I restored my iphone and set it up as new etc and when I opened the Read It Later app it said something like. "Do you want to use the account previously used on this device"? I clicked yes and it logged me in with my details automatocally.

I restored my phone so how come it still saved my password for that app? Its the only app I've came across thats done it though.

Just concerned for when I sell or give this phone away in the future. I'm jailbroken so iwipe should completely wipe my phone?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Some apps use the phone's ID number to log you in.

Usually they're apps where privacy doesn't matter. For example, Photoswap does this, but there's no detail in the account. You send an anonymous photo and get one back. That's all it does and the program doesn't know anything about you. They log you in with a phone ID so that if they block your account you can't log back in using another name. They just block the entire device.

So for that it works great. There's no personal info involved so there's no reason not to do it that way.

One app I had a problem with, though, was 'Hey, Where Are You?' which is a location sharing app. When I gave my 3G phone to my mother in law there was some mixups in terms of who was receiving updates from which people.

It sounds like your app may be similar to that. It just checks their server, matches the phone ID, and sends back the data that matches.

You should check with that particular developer to see if they have any info on that. Maybe it's something else I'm overlooking, but if not you'll have to ask them to remove your phone ID from their database and I wouldn't use that app again.

But this is the big red flag that I can't answer. My advice extends to stock iPhones but I don't know what jailbreaking does. It's possible your problem comes from jailbreaking and it's somehow not being fully wiped because of that. Wait until you get a jailbreak-expert in here before you follow my advice. They may have more details.

3. Bathplug thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I contacted the developer and he recently got back to me to let me know that the next update for the app will forget the phones ID when the phone is restored or factory reset which is great news. I'd love to see a list of apps that save the phones I.D.