My predictions for the new 2012 iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jare, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Jare, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Thought I'd give a likely idea of what we'll see in the new iPhone this year. Hardware wise.

- 4G LTE Support (with same bands as current iPhone 4s as well)
    - 10 or 12MP Camera
    - Redesign with a thinner liquid metal frame (possibly larger screen or smaller bezel)
    - A5X and Quad Core graphics (obviously..)
    - Enhanced Call Quality (they'll use LTE as the excuse)
    - iPad quality battery life (9 hours on LTE, 10 hours everything else)
    - Name change from iPhone number system to just "iPhone"

I think I'll be right, but who knows. I feel this will be a dull year for "wow" features other then a redesign.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Those are some pretty safe bets, though.

I'd additionally guess

- "HD Facetime" Camera
    - New 30-pin connecter
    - A6 Processor/More Ram

3. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I'd assume we won't see an HD FaceTime camera, A6 or New 30-pin till the 2013 iPad.

The only reason I say this is it seems Apple "tests" it's technology for consumers with the iPad first and then following with the iPhone.

4. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

I kinda like how they'll probably just keep it iPhone instead of numbering them...

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not a chance on this item. The iPad is pretty much half-battery.

There's no way the iPhone can ever approach it. The iPad is successful in this area by sheer size.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the next iPhone gets an A6 chip. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but it wouldn't surprise me.

6. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

You never know, though. We don't know what the new re-design will look like.

Remember that the iPad 2012 has the exact same battery life as it's previous model, with a screen x2 the resolution and a quad core GPU (which are massive battery drains). It's a feat in itself that is has the same battery life.

It's a safe bet.

7. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

What does Apple claim to get on 3G now?

8. cynics macrumors G3

Apple versions are never that extensively upgraded. We will probably get 2 things off that list if we are lucky.

9. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I re-edited my post, but it says:

8 Hours on 3G, 14 Hours on 2G (GSM)
    200 Hour Standby.

Now we know this doesn't really reflect real life usage, and those numbers are "up to".

10. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

Seems like every other iPhone has a pretty big upgrade.
    Never know...

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do we think they'll put massively better battery technology in the iPhone than the iPad? Have we heard anything about this? What's this based on and what's supposed to change between now and then?

12. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

Retina display. Upgraded Camera. Quad Core GPU. LTE support.
    ^ The new iPad.

Hmm, sounds like extensive upgrades to me.

Every 2 years Apple redesigns the iPhone so that's a given, for starters.

----------

Technology advances no matter which way you slice it, even if it's minimal.

The posted 4S battery life is up to 8 hours on 3G GSM. It's not that far off of the "10 hours" from the iPad.

13. barryl85 macrumors regular

Its not a safe bet, you cannot fit an iPad battery in an iPhone, its probably larger than the phone itself, for this very reason the iPad has a better battery life.

If the iPhone is larger it may be able to accept a larger battery but with a larger screen and power hungry hardware you will be lucky if it lasts longer.

14. cynics macrumors G3

Have they? I agree there upgrades are more significant then a lot of people make them out to be its nothing like what the op posted.

15. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I took my cues from the new iPad. If we look at history, each iPad has indicated the internal hardware of the next generation iPhone.

I don't know what you mean by it's nothing like what I posted, though. Maybe rephrase what you mean?

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Do we really need a 10mp camera? :confused:

I'd like better storage options at the lower price point. 16GB entry level is something the original iPhone had a few months after launch. Granted that was top of the line, but seriously? I feel with all the apps getting bigger and bigger 32GB should be entry level, and 64 on top. As long as they can keep selling though, I am sure my wish will be only a dream. :(

17. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I'll post it again. The iPhone 4s has an "up to battery life" of 8 Hours. The iPad has an "up to" battery life of "10 hours". It's not that far off.

I'm not talking about STANDBY time. I'm talking about USAGE time. The reason the iPad has such a large standby time is BECAUSE OF THE SIZE. The usage time however is still relatively low in "hours".

There are " " around certain words in this post for a reason. Lol.

18. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

Yeah, and obviously the iPad has a much larger display than the iPhone...

19. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

No, we really don't. But I doubt they'll leave the camera alone and not upgrade it. I don't think they've missed a year changing the MP/quality.

I think we'll probably stay with 16/32/64GB for awhile. We have iCloud and iTunes match which offsets so much of the space. But of course, I'd love more space!

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think you're right. Unfortunately, games are starting to eat up more and more space. That my personal concern. :mad:

21. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I completely agree with Rage HD, IB2, 1080p movies and high res photos we're seeing the space slip by faster and faster.

22. Motliest Crue macrumors regular

If the camera isnt impoved people will complain. We know that.....

23. cynics macrumors G3

You might be right, who knows. I think we've reached the cameras optical limits for its depth plus it's the best camera in a phone on the market. So I doubt we'll see thinner or better camera.

LTE is hopefully a given.

Battery size may grow but I doubt more power hungry hardware will give us much better usable time.

Quad core will be in the new iPhone S :)

If I were to guess I'd say it will have a 4" screen and LTE with a different design case. People will flock by the millions to get one and apple can do all that quad core camera etc stuff in the next upgrade.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Actually, we're both wrong. You think it might happen soon, I think it might not. I just checked, and in reality they both currently match.

The iPhone 4S and the iPad 3rd-Gen list both 'Video Playback' as 10 hours.

This is the most basic of their tests. I think the reason the iPad gets 10 hours of wifi surfing while the iPhone gets only 9 is that the iPhone must keep the cellular chip active for phone calls. They'd have to test the iPhone in Airplane Mode to get the same results, and that would be dishonest.

So the difference between screen-sizes and processors and data connections may skew the numbers somewhat, but when you really compare them in a fair test, they're pretty much even right now!

25. barryl85 macrumors regular

You cannot compare the devices in terms of "battery" longevity. They are far too different and are used different.

The iPad has a larger battery hungry screen, its makes sense that having a larger battery will help give it a longer life.

If you powered an iPhone with the iPad battery you would probably see 16hour life.