My preordered iPad 16GB shipped, but now I want the 32GB. What can I do?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BluePotato, Mar 13, 2012.

  1. BluePotato macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2011
    #1
    I preordered a 16GB iPad 3 / New iPad. It has shipped and will be delivered on the 16th. I regret my decision now and want to spend the extra $100 for 32GB.

    What are my options here? I don't mind going to the Apple Store on Friday and buying a 32GB in-store.

    Can I refuse the FedEx shipment on Friday? I've done that before with other items I've purchased and they've gone back to the retailer and given me a refund. Then I don't have to ship it back myself. Has anybody here done that before with Apple?

    Any other options I can consider?

    Thanks for the help everybody.
     
  2. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2007
    #2
    Sell the old one on craigslist for $200 or so over retail, and then use the cash to offset the cost of the new one.
     
  3. ZBoater macrumors G3

    ZBoater

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny Florida
    #3
    Receive it. Don't open it. Sell it for $100 premium. Get your 32GB iPad a little later.

    ----------

    Ha! Beat me to it!
     
  4. homeboy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #4

    This.
     
  5. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2010
    #5
    I see a couple choices here:
    1) When you get to delivery on Friday, go to the Apple store with it unopened, and ask if they have one you can exchange. I did something similar to this last year with the iPad 2 (although, it wasn't on launch day, but it was within the first week while supplies were still hard to find). Apparently, the Apple stores tend to keep a handful of units on the side, not for sale, in case an exchange is needed due to issues/defects. Last year, I bought a Verizon model, but then decided I wanted an AT&T, so I was able to sweet talk one of the reps into letting me swap my unopened Verizon for one of the side stock AT&T models, even though they had confirmed to another customers they had no more units to sell outright. Since they were getting an unopened unit in return back from me, they were more willing to do it.

    2) Wait in line on Friday morning early, get the new one, and then return the old one a few days later, when the craziness settles down. Otherwise, if you wait for old one to arrive via Fedex, you will likely have missed any chances of buying a new one that day.

    3) Wait in line on Friday morning early, get the new one, and then ebay/craigslist the old one unopened, and make someone else happy. You may even make a few bucks in the process, but don't do it for that reason.

    Those are my suggestions. Good luck!
     
  6. BluePotato thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2011
    #6
    Thanks for all the advice. I read here that I can bring the iPad to the Apple Store and get a refund within 14 days.

    Maybe I'll see if I can sell the iPad for more than $541 (my price after tax) on Craigslist in the first couple days after launch before going in for a refund.

    ----------

    Do you all really think iPads will be selling for $100-$200 over retail? We're hearing rumors about Target, Walmart and Best Buy selling them in addition to the Apple store, so consumers are going to have a lot of options.
     
  7. Rychy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Location:
    Washington
    #7
    I did and decided the same thing. lol. I'm going to try swapping the 16GB for the 32GB in-store on Friday. If they don't have any I'll just return the 16GB and order online.
     
  8. bgro macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2010
    Location:
    South Florida
    #8
    Did the same thing here. Ordered a 16 GB then decided I wanted a 32. Just order the 32 and return the 16 when it comes. I'm getting the 32 a week later (3.23). Not a huge deal. Or just use the 16GB until the 32 comes and then return the 16.
     
  9. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

    JohnnyQuest

    Joined:
    May 25, 2006
    #9
    Return it or sell it.

    Then be prepared to wait a few weeks because of high demand.
     
  10. noles200 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    #10
    I ordered an AT&T 32GB (coming on launch day) and a VZW 32GB (coming on 3/20). I'm contemplating the 64GB VZW version now. Maybe I'll see if I can get on launch day. If I do I won't open the other two and put up for sale. Purchased for $780 with tax so if I put up for $855 as an BUY IT NOW I'm guessing I could sell both. If I do I make out by about $50. If not, on day 13 I'll return them.
     

Share This Page