My PS3 just died (power I think). Need a couple questions answered.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Crawn2003, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

First off, please, no PS3's are evil, etc. I like Sony and that's what I use. XBox is nice, Wii is nice, but I like Playstation.

Now to the story. My PS3 will not turn on at all. I think it's the power because no lights come on. I called Sony about it and they said to send it in because it's still under warranty. They would repair/replace the unit but the data (saved games, etc.) would probably be lost.

This is unacceptable to me.

Now, if I were to get another SATA 2.5" Hard Drive and load the Firmware from a friends PS3 onto the new HD and replace it for the one currently in my dead PS3 would it still be under warranty?

~Crawn

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats sad to hear man....that happen to one of my friends before he had to send it in. As for you removing the drive I'm not sure if it would void your warranty(I don't think it should)...you might want to read the manual for that one.

Are you worried about your game saves or your PSN titles?
    If its your PSN titles and add-ons not to fear because you can download them again without being charged.

Heres a discussion on someone wanting to tranfer his files over.....it looks to be easy...you just need a thumb drive or a PC/Mac.

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=72992

Bless

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I would talk with Sony customer support and see if you can remove the harddrive before you ship it out. I'm almost positive that the harddrive is user removeable without voiding the warranty.

4. Crawn2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.

PSN games I downloaded I know I can download again, like up to 5 times I think, with out worry.

I am afraid, and they even stated when I called them (Sony) that the saved game data would be gone and i would lose everything.

I would probably just pick up a cheap drive and be fine with it.

I'll call them back later about it because I am curious if I can just remove the hard drive and keep it while it's being repaired.

~Crawn

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Or you could just clone the drive onto a spare - at least until you get it back. Though, I don't know if that's specific to your physical hardware. Hmmm. Probably.

I know when I upgraded the HD in my ps3, I made a clone of the drive in case anything went awry. I didn't use it, but I like to think had I needed it, it was there.

6. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Just put an empty hard drive in it. Does not need to be reformated. When they turn the system on, its going to ask the player, "Sony Support Service" to reformated and hit "x". They reformat your "fake" hard drive and there you go.

When it comes back to your house, pull the hd and put yours in.