My quick take on 6 and 6 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I went to the Apple Store after lunch. It was not too busy, with most customers being mostly older folks like me. I overheard store employees telling customers that certain models of the 6 plus were out of stock.

iPhone 6:

Felt comfortable in hand, solid construction. Volume, power/lock, and mute switchgear all had solid feedback. No problems using the new lock button (no volume accidentally triggered). Home button less clicky than my 5, but not crunchy like the 5S I tried last year. One-handed use easy with the reachability double tap home button feature. Only had to use this to reach far corners when swipe gestures weren't an option. I have medium sized hands.

Lines in the back and camera bump were not the most elegant, but didn't bother me. I prefer the black bezel to the white bezel.

Display is great. Vibrant colors and better viewing angles than 5/5S. 4.7" easier to type on than 4".

iPhone 6 plus:

Physically, the quality of the metal shell and buttons was identical to the 6.

I could hold the device with one hand but I could not really operate it one-handed without fear of dropping. The 6 plus felt too big to me.

The virtual keyboard was MUCH easier to use 2-handed than either the 5 or 6. The wider 5.5" allows for larger keys and I didn't mistype much.

5.5 display was good for showing more content, but I honestly could not tell between the higher PPI of the 6+ and the 326 PPI from the 6. Side by side both phones looked stunning to me. My eyes aren't that great anymore though.

Other remarks:

Gold was not as bad as I thought it would be from pictures. I liked Space Gray the best because of the black bezel. It really just looks seemless with the rest of the phone.

I would buy the 4.7" iPhone 6, 64GB if I needed a replacement device today. Ease of carrying and ability to manage with one hand are the reasons. The bigger screen looks nice, but it's too bulky for me.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm waiting to see my wife's 6+ to decide if it is "too large" but I really want the camera improvements so I'll probably have to make do.

We also like the black bezel so SG is the only choice for us.

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Instead of the obligatory "cool story bro", I'm just going to say that it's a relief to have finally gotten Retired Cat's impressions of the new iPhones and note that it's taken you awhile to finally get down there and take a look at them. ;)

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Since you ended up picking the 6(I have the 6+)... I'm gonna say cool story bro. If you would have picked the 6 plus, I would have said all kind of things about how you are right lol.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Its very reassuring that you basically regurgitated things that have already been said about it.

Lets hope that this doesn't turn into a trend.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Seems about right around here. :)

7. pish6969 macrumors regular

Now that my wife got her 6+ the other day (I've had the regular since since launch)

Here is my expert review...

6+ ..bigger than 6
    6 ...smaller than 6 +

...the voice of reason

8. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Glad my quick "review" is useful.

Yes, it did take me 2 1/2 weeks to visit the Apple Store, but I hate crowds and I wanted to try out each of the new phones in all colors without the distraction of lots of people around.

I could have tried to bend the 6 plus and posted another Bendghastly thread ;-)

9. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

Ive had the 6+ for a week now and I must say at first it felt a bit big but now I have adjusted to it and Im really liking it alot.

10. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Thanks for the impressions, but I think most people could probably do the same by looking at them in a store. It's only after using them for a while that you really start to understand what's good and bad about each. The iPhone 6+ felt too big to me too (even considered returning it), but after a few days I'm completely used to it.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Does this mean you are a republican or the contrary? Why do you use it instead of the one most people use = bendgate

12. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

At the risk of provoking forum members' wrath, I think that the bending issue is likely to be overblown. While bending reports may be true, it's not clear to me that they are the widespread result of some design flaw and coverup.

Benghazi investigations have dragged on for years now with little to show for it IMO (other than wasting taxpayer dollars). Likewise, there seems to be a bit of a ridiculous hunt for bending iPhones, to the point where a criminal element of children have allegedly posted videos of themselves vadalising iPhone 6s in an Apple Store to show bending. "Bendghastly" seem to be a funny way to conflate the 2 investigations.

That being said, I don't like Democrats much, but I like Republicans even less. I either vote Libertarian or Green depending on what meds I took on Election Day.

13. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Yes, that about sums it up :D

14. MacTechnics, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I'm glad more people want Space Grey than any other color. I wanted the gold from day 1 and got it easily. Y'all can wait for your black bezel. Me, I had the all black/slate iPhone 5 and unless they come out with this option again, I won't go for a black iPhone. Not feeling Space Grey. They should have at least made the ring around the Touch ID the same Space Grey color to kind of have the back go with the front even a little bit. Kinda like they did with the silver, and had the silver ring around the Touch ID. I actually like how the gold has the white lines in the back that match with the front. And, of course, the gold ring around the Touch ID.

Actually, the black bezel annoyed me on my 5 cause you can see scratches easier on a black bezel than a white bezel.

Anyway, cool story bro (to myself, lol)

But to each their own. All I have to say is the 6+ is the best phone I've ever owned and the big screen is such a pleasant experience. You get used to it quickly and never want to go back to a small phone again. Plus, the battery life. This phone just won't die. You can go a full 2 days without charging it. The 6 can't do that.

15. noobinator macrumors 601

Thanks for this.

I will finally be able to sleep tonight.

16. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

When I saw pics of the Gold 6 in reviews, it seemed brighter than the 5S, but at the Apple Store the color is much more classy than flashy.

The white lines don't clash either. I was surprised.

17. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Yep - don't mind the lines at all. This gold looks way better than the 5S Gold