My rant on the new look of Hotmail.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maclover001, Nov 7, 2008.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

The last revision of Windows Live Hotmail wasn't that bad. I won't say good, but not bad. But the new revision is SICK. It's just DISGUSTING. It reminds me of Windows 95! (Cloud backgrounds, etc)

Everything is just too big, there are buttons everywhere, I just don't like it at all.

Opinions?

Attached Files:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i only use Hotmail for web registrations where i think ill get spam, so i dont really care what it looks like.

seriously get Gmail or Yahoo mail they have great web UIs and have free POP3 unlike Hotmail.

3. maclover001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I do use Gmail as my main address, the Hotmail is just for registering for websites.

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Microsoft has never been particularly good at designing their websites, especially with MSN. It's always been inconsistent and usually quite busy, now it looks as though they're taking the simplistic approach, not great, but still better than it used to be a few years ago.

5. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

I have never had a hotmail account and frankly I dont want one. Stick with gmail. If you want a secondary email for websites then go gmail again, cut out the microsoft connection altogether.

One day Microsoft will be dead. :p

6. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Not to mention it dosen't work properly on Opera! :mad:

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Does it work properly at all? :p

8. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I kinda like their new feature where you type in a few letters and it brings up a list of email addresses and names containing the letters.
    The new colour scheme is a pain in the a** though.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

10. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

11. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

ugh.. this version has been around for over a month now.. and i still can't send email from camino.. i have to go into safari to send something.. im just to lazy to transfer everything im signed up to with this email to another email address.. is there an easy way?

12. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Very hard to, especially when you've been using the particular email service for years.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Some people, for various reasons, have a need for Hotmail

I don't like the new interface either, but it will evolve :eek:

If you are having trouble, Firefox on the Mac works best with Hotmail ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

To me, there isn't much difference between the new interface, and the old one. It's not bad, and wasn't bad before either. I also use it for web registrations and such, but my gmail account gets around 30 spam messages a day. Currently, I have 939 spam mails, and I haven't cleared my Junk Mail folder since October 8th. Gmail filters it into the Junk Mail folder, but it annoys me to no end. I hate how much junk mail I get in Gmail. It's so much that I don't check it to see if it's accidentally filtering out non-junk. I don't check, but I don't trust it anyway. Surely it'll get it wrong 1% of the time.

Funny thing is that I NEVER use Gmail. I never sign up to anything using my Gmail account, and I rarely send emails using the account. I have 3 friends who email that account, but that's all. In fact, I use, and check, my Hotmail account more often than Gmail because I do things like buy plane tickets with it.

I find that most people who say Hotmail is crap don't actually have anything against the service itself. They just don't like that it's Microsoft. Sure, some people will say "the UI is crap", but it's mostly an easy way out from actually answering the question. :p

Do you know what's crap? Gmail's Contacts feature, and grouping contacts together. THAT is unintuitive the first few times you use it.

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I tend to use Gmail for questionable sites as it's expendable. The hotmail one, or now Live mail one is only used to keep my MSN messenger account. I never send any mail out from it.

16. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I haven't used Hotmail for years (gmail), but I definitely like this version better than the last. Looks much cleaner.

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Some of us would rather not have Google scan our emails to build profiles on us to sell on to companies.

Relevant adverts my ass.

18. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

For what? I attached my Gmail to a .NET passport, and can use it for anything requiring such an account (including MSN)...

Haven't used Hotmail in probably six years... :)

19. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I've always hated Hotmail. Since when I started my account with them in 2004, the UIs have bothered me. It's gone through 2 user interface changes, and while they're better, the initial one had much better compatibility.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Does a person who asks such questions on a Mac message board really expect an unbiased answer? :confused: It's silly to even expect it. Haven't seen anybody give a very specific reason for not liking Hotmail yet. "It's the UI" is a cop-out.

Like I said, Gmail's UI isn't really all that intuitive either, nor is it better organized. I gave an example in my last post regarding organizing contacts. Gmail's UI really isn't one of Google's greatest achievements. I think the minimal loading time, unlimited storage capacity (unheard of at the time it was introduced), and threaded conversations is what made Gmail big. Currently, it's only the threaded conversations that make it special, and that features isn't exclusively found on Gmail anymore. In fact, Apple's Mail.app had it before Gmail was even in early beta, so Mac users have had it for a LOOOONG time. ;)

21. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Great comment.

Honestly, I know a lot of people hate MS for all the stuff they do, but I have to vouch for them a little bit.

After using hotmail for 8 years, it has been a nice reliable service, with a nice and simple straight to the point interface..

This is the first time in my recent memory that hotmail has bugged out on me.

Some people, need to get out of their little anti-Microsoft shells. They've done great things in their existence as a company, and whatever you say about them will not stop the masses of people that use their products.

22. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

i don't like the new interface either.... But, as someone else said, eventually it will change sometime in the future...!

23. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I thought the same thing - I have a free account, but it's Gmail. I used Hotmail once aaaaages ago and hated it back then. Left a sour taste in my mouth.

24. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull