My Reasons Why iPhone Is Better Than N95(and others)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billandy, Aug 15, 2008.

1. billandy macrumors regular

See that lots of people on this forum are complaining about this and that, about the lack of features of the iPhone, MMS, A2DP, Turn-by-Turn Navigation and etc. And, most of the comparisons have been made against the Nokia N95. As someone who's ACTUALLY LIVED with both devices for many months, here's my reasons why iPhone is superior than the N95 and indeed almost all others.

I admit that my N95 has a superior tech specs, it has a better camera, does MMS, supports A2DP, features Nokia Maps and a lot more that iPhone currently doesn't do due to limitations of software or hardware nature. BUT, from my experience with the N95, the battery life was no longer than 2 hours of actual usage-some browsing on HSDPA, WiFi turned off, 3G talk- and battery dies within an hour with turn-by-turn SatNav. However on the iPhone side, even with all the apps being used heavily-iPod, Safari, Phone, SMS, Email, Stocks and WiFi turned on-, my iPhone survives a day without a charge. Of course I suppose Steve Jobs also has those lacking features on his "priority list", but Apple made a sensible decision in putting aside some of those just so that we get a smart phone that we can actually use for a day without having to carry extra batteries, not to mention the hassle waking up in the middle of night to change and charge the secondary battery.

I sincerely hope that in the near future Apple will get those things on their wish list ticked off using more power efficient chips and some magic power management codes. Keep up with the work and thanks for bringing we lucky guys another great invention of all time!

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

Well said .... as another N95 owner i actually stopped using the N95 about 12 months into an 18 month contract it was so poor a device ...

Looks great on paper but in reality the iPhone isn't quite as bad as it might look compared

3. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

I second that. I had all those features ready for me, didn't use them because the N95 wasn't exactly up to speed most the time.

4. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I'm surprised you didn't call it his Jobs list! :)

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I used to have an N95, which I swapped away after a week or so because of its horrid battery life. If the battery life had been better, I'd have kept it though. I miss that phone...:eek:

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I have not used an N95, but I manage wireless PDAs as part of my day job. I've seen many and used them all, but the iPhone makes them look pale in comparison. At the office I call them bricks, but that is insulting to real bricks everywhere. The Windows Mobile ones (from HTC) typically don't function reliably as a phone and the other functions are laughable so we have employees turn them in and do without.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Talk about N95...did anybody manage to get that bar scanner to work? I couldn't get it to scan for the life of me...

9. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

the bar code scanner works quite reliably actually, however it doesn't recognise the sort of barcodes you have in mind-those on retail products. it only works with this sort of barcode which sometimes can be found in magazines, though i personally haven't seen any more than 5.

[​IMG]

10. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Haha... I tried it on the regular barcodes. I suppose that explains it then :)
    Pointless gimmick :rolleyes:
    I'll consider an n series smartphone the moment they can scan regular barcodes and give me information on the scanned object... not before that.

11. gpzere macrumors newbie

Just wondering which version of the n95 you guys used/owned?

I currently own a N95-4 8GB, which has a great deal of improvements over the original N95-1 which include doubled RAM, a larger capacity battery and a larger display.

Having used both the first gen iPhone(for a month) and the iPhone 3G(for two weeks), I must say that my battery is at par or better than the iPhone 3G with moderate usage throughout the day and can last about two days without a recharge. My usage is typically 1-3 hours of talk time, 3G is disabled due to no 3G coverage, 0.5-1 hour of wifi usage, half hour of 3d gaming(when waiting for ride) or half hour of GPS with voice navigation. Could you compare your iPhone usage and battery life to mine.

I wasn't too impressed with the iPhone as of yet it might be a little more polished and have the sync tools built right into OS X but I still feel like there is a lot that the phone doesn't feel I need to see(IE. Flash Lite 3).

Just my input regarding N95 vs iPhone. I am huge fan of both companies, just don't feel the iPhone is ready for me yet.