My refurb iMac came with a 2TB HDD instead of 1TB

Discussion in 'iMac' started by louis0nfire, May 29, 2010.

1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

So I ordered a refurbished 27" iMac Core i7. It was supposed to come with a 1TB hard drive. Not until today (about 5 days after I received it) did I notice that my hard drive is actually 2TB. I don't know how this is possible, but I'm not complaining. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It's the "refurbished Mac" lottery. Most refurbished Macs are Macs that have been sold and returned to Apple for whatever reason. Someone returned a custom-built Mac with a 2 TB drive. So what is Apple going to do? They could replace the 2 TB drive with a 1 TB drive. That costs time, cost of the 1 TB drive, and Apple can't put the used 2 TB drive into a new computer. Or they can offer 1 TB and 2 TB Macs separately, that costs time and money. In the end it is the cheapest solution for Apple and the best for you to just sell you a refurbished Mac with 2 TB drive for the price of a refurbished Mac with 1 TB drive.

3. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

A friend of mine got more memory on a refurbished iMac that he was supposed to get!

4. carbonfly macrumors regular

Lucky!

Actually, I consider myself lucky too because my 27" i7 refurb didn't come with a yellow screen. Victory!

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

With refurbs the advertised computer is the worst it is possible to get. You can end up with a better one.