iPad mini My retina iPad Mini's battery just won't die.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FatPuppy, Apr 19, 2014.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I want to fully drain my r mini's battery but after the ipad turned off, the drained battery sign on black screen is still there, it has been there for 17 hours. How much do I have to wait until the battery is so dead that it won't display anything? I know it sounds really ridiculous but I've heard that it is good to do this once every one or two months.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I don't know, they say to do this full drain thing but it's really so the meter is more accurate. IMO, there is no reason to really do this. The battery doesn't benefit at all. I'd just drop the idea and use your iPad.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Fully draining you battery is not good. The best advice is to use a full charge cycle at least once per month, which can be done easily with normal use.

4. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Well... isn't the full cycle=fully drain the battery and charge it up to 100% ?

5. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Yeah, but when you finish drinking a can of Coke, there will still be a few drops in the bottom of the can.

Just get the battery as low as you can (which you've already done), and leave it charging overnight.

For some types of battery, regularly running it down to absolute zero isn't a good thing. I'm not sure off-hand if the iPad's battery fits into this category.

If your battery meter is reasonably OK (i.e. The iPad isn't switching off at 30%) discharging it until it turns off is good enough.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Fully drain as in use it until the iPad turns off, not drain it until the red "out of battery" doesn't show. God knows how long it will take before the out of battery sign stops showing, and if you do deplete your battery to such an extent, it might not start up again.

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Lithium polymers batteries don't like to be fully drained like you are trying to do. You are trying to drain it to the point where the iPad does not have enough power to wen shoe that the iPad is dead. That is bad and can cause damage to the iPads battery. When it dies to the dead screen charge it back to 100% and that is a full charge cycle.

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Much of the battery draining advice, even Apple's, is several battery generations old. I've kept my iPads plugged in more often than not, and the batteries in my 3-year old iPad 1 and 2 year old iPad 3 (both handed down to family members now) are still working fine.

9. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

You are taking it too literally. Draining the battery until you get the "battery low" screen is enough.

10. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

We so badly need a //Face palm\\ emoticon on MR!! ....

11. M5RahuL, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014

M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Did you manage to squeeze out the very last drip of the Mini's battery yet ?

You might wanna make sure by taking the battery out and flipping it upside down.. there just might be a minute drop left.. feel free to use a flash if needed! LOL !!

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

You don't want to literally "drain" your battery. When your device shuts itself down that's for its own good. That's as empty as the battery should get.

13. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

Exactly. Your iPad has a strong battery and will do your job regardless. People worry that over time their device won't last as long; but frankly, you'd hardly realize it.