My review of knockoff link band

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Gregintosh, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I bought this Knockoff link band:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0183FJLPS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

It is a 1:1 replica. You can resize it by taking the links off WITHOUT any tools, just like the real Apple band. I paid $93 with free Prime Shipping.

Few key points:

1. It feels very good! Very comfortable, and the metal seems solid. I didn't play with the original much other than in the store many moons ago, so I can't compare directly. But on its own merits its good.

2. It does have a bit of a gap between links. To me, this isn't a huge deal for some it may be. My understanding is that the original one also has some gap, even if smaller, between links.

3. The clasp and all that seem fairly secure. I am not worried about my watch falling off. I have AppleCare anyway, so if it does happen its still cheaper to get a repair or two than buy the original Apple band. But like I said, I am not worried about it coming loose.

4. The links require you to push with your thumb and pull apart. This is not a flimsy mechanism, it requires intent. I cannot imagine the links coming apart on their own while you're wearing it, which I know was a concern for some with the knockoff band.

5. The connector is about 1mm too big on the left and right on both sides. One clicks into place, the other does not. However, they both feel "secure" (I tried to force slide it out and it would not come off). I am not going to be worrying about the connector sliding off while wearing at all. The 1mm extra metal on both sides does look a bit off, but its no big deal for me.

6. Ultimately, when you stop staring at the band itself and just use your watch normally, you're going to love this band and none of the imperfections will be noticeable over time.

7. Take a look at the pictures I posted. If you think the band looks good and nothing jumps out at you, then you will be happy with this band. On the other hand, if you look at my pics and say "damn thats ugly" or "wow, I could never live with X or Y issue" then you probably should skip this and any other knockoffs.

Conclusion

This is an excellent band for those who want to save $350 over the cost of Apple's but still get 95% of the same look/feel.

I highly recommend for anyone who wanted the link edition but didn't want to pay the premium. I have a feeling I'll be using this band full time for a long time to come, and it is my new favorite band!

If you have massive OCD and require perfection, just spring for the genuine Apple one. No matter how hard you look, ultimately, you will not find a knockoff that is as perfect. And if you did, it probably would cost close to what Apple charges.

It seems apparent that a big reason for the $450 price tag is that Apple has extremely low tolerances for link spacing, connector widths, etc. That must mean they reject a ton of parts, and those rejected parts are factored into the cost.

To keep the price down, the knockoffs loosen the criteria a bit. So you get most of the quality but at 75% off on the price. For this reason, looking for the "perfect" knockoff is a fool's errand. You can have a good price OR impeccable quality but you can't have both. That's true in everything not just in this band.

Hope this review helps anyone whose sitting on the fence!

IMG_1070.jpg IMG_1071.jpg

2. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I really want one for my SG but all the ones that I have seen you can see the silver between he links and they are still 60-100$ i don't mind seeing a little silver for 60 but the closer to the latter the less silver I think i should be able to see. Not sure why all these bands didn't just paint all the links black.