My RMBP Gaming setup + "3" monitor Setup!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeov, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Zeov, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Hello :)

i though i'd tell you how i use my MacBook Pro Retina "15 when i'm at home and want to use it as a desktop, and a gaming machine.

What i use:

MacBook Pro Retina "15
    iPad 3
    Samsung 2233RZ 120 Hz gaming monitor
    Apple Dual-Link DVI adapter
    Random USB hub
    Steelseries USB Sound card

What does it look like?

So heres what my setup looks like. Everything is controlled via my mouse and keyboard:

http://imgur.com/U2Snc

Whoah, picture is enourmous! i just linked to imgur instead!

What i like about this setup is that whenever i get home from school or any other place, i can just connect two cables (3 with the charger) and turn my MacBook on in BootCamp and i'm ready to go. The iPad works as a third monitor wirelessly, so i use that mainly for skype, steam chat, and stuff like that, it's also pretty neat since i usually have my iPad with me, so if im in McDonald's or in the local transtation, i can actually have a portable dual monitor setup :).

How to make it work:

The way i made only two cables plugged in my mac for this setup is actually quite easy. I bought the Mini Display -> Dual-Link DVI adapter (http://foliovision.com/images/2009/12/Apple-Mini-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-DVI-Adapter-MB571Z.jpg) and it requires you hook the mini display and a USB port in, but the adapter also gives a USB port in the other end (so you don't lose any ports by doing this). So what i did was i got myself a cheap powered USB hub with 4 USB ports in it, plugged it into the other end of the DVI adapter and plugged all my stuff in the HUB (Mouse, Soundcard, keyboard), so all the cable management is under my desk and doesn't look like a mess unless i look under :).

The reason i got the Steelseries USB sound card was because i was fed up trying to get a gaming headset to work with the microphone.. to this day i have yet to see someone using a gaming headset on a mac using the microphone on the headset.. so i saved my self some stress and got the sound card, and everything works like i wanted it to.

What do i use all these monitors for?

The Retina Monitor: I use the retina screen for movies, youtube, webpages and music, its a good screen so movies and stuff looks great to use when gaming and such.

The samsung middle monitor: I use for gaming, the Dual-Link DVI adapter makes full use of my monitors 120 Hz which is really great.

The iPad monitor: I use the iPad for steam chat, skype, and stuff like chats etc. i found a great App that uses the iPad as a wireless monitor, and though it is a bit choppy, chatting works like a charm. I'm not sure if im allowed to mention which app it was, since i got a yellow card for mentioning my youtube channel.. but i can tell you i found it via a google search :)

Whats the point of this thread?

Well, i know a lot of you guys have an iPad laying around.. and many of you guys in here have both a MacBook Pro and most likely a monitor too.. so it would be stupid not to give a few ideas to increase productivity :) This could work great for video editing and photo too.

Hope you like my setup, if you have any questions, feel free to ask away!

2. nostylez macrumors member

Very nice setup. Nice and clean.

Check this out for eGPU, I created another thread on it the info is here.
    I plan to do something like this in terms of gaming set up but I would like to set it up clean like yours.

3. utekineir macrumors 6502

that mouse pad is roughly the same size as texas.

4. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Not to sound critical but why buy a retina display Mac but a low end small monitor?

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

You didn't need a dual-link dvi adapter. Regular MDP-DVI adapters can do up to 1920x1200.

6. FYDave macrumors member

If I'm not mistaken that's a mousepad specifically designed for gaming. They tend to have rigidity, traction, and also provide a larger surface to prevent accidentally moving your mouse off of the pad when gaming.

7. Zeov thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Yes i do need it.. i cannot run 120 Hz (3D) from a DVI adapter, i tried.. it has to be Dual-Link.

----------

It's a gaming monitor, with 120 Hz and 3D, had it for a long time, and yeah i do plan on upgrading to bigger resolution (currently only 1680x1050) but it works for now..

It's 22" which makes my Mobile gaming setup pretty easy to carry around to friends when playing games.

8. utekineir macrumors 6502

Thanks for explaining in detail that to me, its so awesome that this forum is mostly made up of people that take everything literally.

9. FYDave macrumors member

Or I just don't assume that people posting know everything? No need to be a prick about it.

10. utekineir macrumors 6502

:)

11. Ztormie macrumors regular

Do you play other games besides WOW? How does the Retina MBP hold up when hooked to an external screen?

12. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

My assumption would be that pushing out non retina resolution graphics actually works well even via external.

OP does have a 120hz monitor thats capable of showing up to 120fps, but I am not certain many of today's games will run at that kind of fps. Couldve used a simple 60hz monitor!

13. Zeov thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i play:

CS 1.6 and CS:GO (main reason i need 120 HZ, and 100 HZ in 1.6)
    L4D2
    TF2
    HL2 EP 1 EP2
    BF3 (usually get like 30-50 FPS)
    Sims 3
    Crysis 2
    GTA: SA, IV.
    Skyrim

And gaming on external works like any other computer.. my resolution is 1680x1050 most games run pretty smooth, and it is a great "all-round" laptop for me atleast, this is 1000x better than carrying a desktop around when traveling by bus.. i'll sacrifice a few frames any day to have this ultra portable system :).

i've also read somewhere that the 650m in the MBPR is overclocked to 660M performance, which is the entry lvl Alienware m17x gaming laptop.. So saying the retina is worthless in gaming is a lie. Bootcamp on it and you're ready to play with friends :)