My Safari and Chrome have been hijacked by a rogue application (Hotspot Sheild)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orvn, Apr 13, 2011.

1. orvn macrumors 6502

I installed Hotspot Shield, a 'free' proxy server application. It automatically launched Safari (not my default browser). Now it auto-redirects me to "search-results.com" every time I attempt a Google search.

My home page is no longer Google either. Additionally, there is an advertisement atop of every page I visit (it's not an iframe, it's just there.. as though it's part of the browser).

My default search engine and page are still set to Google in the preferences.
    There is no extension installed. Hotspot shield is off and removed from my system.

If this were Firefox, I could probably fix this in about:config, but I'm not used to using Safari, and it's really annoying that it is compromised.

Oh look, it also hijacked my Chrome... so Firefox is the only one that averted this thing. Clam XAV comes up with a clean scan.

Ideas?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It hasn't hijacked or compromised any browsers. Its just changed your system proxy settings. To change the back, open the Network pref pane, select your main connection, click "Advanced", go to the Proxies tab, and uncheck everything. Restart any open web browsers to complete. Firefox isn't effected because it doesn't use the system's proxy settings by default.

3. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502