my safari broke and is now gone, i want it back

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seedstar, Jan 18, 2008.

1. seedstar macrumors newbie

i have a ibook g4 with 800mhz ppc processor. i saved alot of files to a flash drive two days ago. after that safari was broken. since the apple site says to use update to get safari back i deleted the broken safari.app file in hope of that working. i also got the update safari2.0 package and it will not open, even with pacifist which was recently recommended here. how do i get safari back? it was my favorite browser.

2. hk8899 macrumors newbie

Im not sure how to get safari back for you but I can tell you of a browser just like safari. Firefox is a good option and it works just like safari.

www.getfirefox.com

it works just like safari + it works on :apple: and PC

3. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Me to
    My safari was crashing every time i would click on the icon. I knew Apple, now was providing safari free to all 10.4.9 and 10.5 users I just did a full delete, and was about to do a reinstall. When I found out that to Os X users safari is only available as a combined update. Included in the 10.4.11 update which I already used a month ago.
    Any ideas on how to get it back with out having to do a reinstall would be appreciated
    Hey if I had a intel mac with winblows I could just download and use safari that way!

4. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Maybe try the latest Webkit?

http://nightly.webkit.org/

Although I think you might need Safari.app to use the latest Webkit (since it does use Safari, just with an updated Webkit).

5. acxz macrumors regular

Ermm, Firefox is nothing like Safari o.o

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Did you use pacifist to try and get Safari off your installation dvds?

I'm guessing you're using Tiger as opposed to Leopard.

What kind of files were you putting onto this flash drive, it's strange that Safari would stop working because of something like that unless you were moving files that Safari needs for some reason.

7. seedstar thread starter macrumors newbie

to osarkan

i just put various photo. and website saved files on the flash drive. i have alot of browsers, and i like safari best many times. i have been saving most of my computer files including added applications in case i need to start from the original disks to get safari back. i am hoping someone can tell me how to do that without total reinstall of the tiger mac os x. apple says to get the update and it will be there. there is no separate safari there that i can see, and also i have found no way to open the package.

8. seedstar thread starter macrumors newbie

to osarkon

so osarkon, you are saying that if i have to use pacifist from the original system disks, i will be able to choose just safari? that would be great. exactly how does that process proceed?

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Download Pacifist from here, install it and follow the instructions pretty much.

You need to insert the disks that came with your mac, and then run a search through Pacifist for Safari.