My screen is cracked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dominicanyor, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Last night I was getting out of the truck and forgot that my phone was on my lap and fail on the ground and cracked my screen. I was very disappointed because I had a screen protector and did not do anything. I have insurance thru best buy hopefully they will be able to replace my screen on the same day. I never thought that I was going to be one of the folks that had drop their phones and had the screen cracked.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Screen protectors, in general, aren't going to protect a screen from cracking. They will protect against scratches, and that's basically it.

What model phone do you have? I know best buy started a program where they replace 4 and 4s screens while you wait. Not sure if all locations offer this though.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

$#it happens, broh. ;) glass screens are fragile.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Has anybody shown this trick to you? A segment of fiber optic. You remove the protective sheathing leaving the bared glass strand and it's very easy to break it. But if you leave the sheathing on, you can flex it and it doesn't break! Why can't they make a sheet protector like that for our phones?

ANYHOO I have seen enough shattered iPhones that I know it's just matter of time b4r that dang slick thing pops out from me hands. I have taken care not to remove it from my pocket while on the run to minimize whoops. But when it happens it happens, am not afraid of small tools.

5. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Let us know how best buy handles this situation. Sorry about your phone and good luck.

6. barnesy99 macrumors member

7. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I've dropped mine to the floor more than once and would not have an iPhone without a bumper case. That thing just bounces. I'm sure I've avoided at least one cracked screen...

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your disappointment is due to using the wrong tool for the job. If you want impact protection then get a case that offers impact protection.

Apples and oranges. An optic fiber and a sheet of glass are very different forms. It doesn't take much force in the middle of a sheet to crack it.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Screen protectors aren't cure-alls.

10. Dominicanyor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I have a white 4s.. I love my phone!!

----------

The crazy part about this whole situation is that I have a phone case and I decided that night to have my beautiful phone naked. Lesson learn here.. I will not take off the phone case anymore.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

So did you get it repaired while you waited? I know the "repair on the spot" program is pretty new. My wife is manager at our local Best Buy and she had to be present for the training they did a couple of weeks ago.

12. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i suppose i have been really lucky with my 4S.

ive had it for a year now and whilst i take good care of it, i don't use any protection and it has fallen twice on concrete (someone bumped into me once and another time i lost the grip turning it around) without causing a scratch.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Fantastic. How much they charge?

It would take me a whole day to do it myself am sure, but if BB is reasonable$ I may have them do it when the day comes.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

In not sure it's available unless you have the Greek squad warranty plan. I'll ask the lady when she gets home (if I remember lol).

15. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Why was your phone on your lap while you were driving? It should be in your pocket and out of sight. Theres no reason you need to use your phone while you are driving you increase your chances to not only kill yourself but other because you couldn't wait the 10-20min until you were home to use your phone.

16. Dominicanyor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

You have a point it should not been on my lap. It's just a habit that I have that's all!!

17. Dominicanyor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Ok so I went to best buy so my phone could be fix and unfortunate they don't fix screen on the spot yet. So they are going to send it to apple so I could get a refurbish iPhone. It's goin to take a couple of days before I get the phone so in the mean time I have a galaxy s to use.

----------

Did you order one already? It looks awesome but I don't know if I should get that without any reviews.

18. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

I was just messin with you, I usually do the same because my phone will slide out of my pocket a lot of the times

19. AFDoc macrumors 68030

A screen protector is not meant to keep your screen from shattering.

Poo happens man and that is the exact reason I DON'T place my phone in my lab while driving anymore (didn't crack my screen but finally fed up with my phone hitting the ground)

20. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Shouldn't be in your lap for 2 reasons. 1) you don't need it while driving. Do me and others a favor and pay attention to the road. 2) Why have the LTE kill your nuts with radiation?

21. Dominicanyor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

No at the store that I went to they do not install screen. I was hoping that they did instead of me getting a refurbish iPhone.

----------

Ok one my iPhone is a 4s so I do not have lte and second I was not looking at my phone while I was driving.

----------

Yes I have the warranty with best buy but the store does not replace screens. I will get another iPhone 4s. I just hope apple make the mistake and send me a iPhone 5. Lol

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Apologies. I forgot to ask about this :(

It's not apple that it gets sent to. It actually a geek squad main location. Mistakes happen, but I doubt a blunder that large is going to happen. They would have to screw up at multiple levels. The iPhone 5 is treated as a completely differently product, and rightfully so.

23. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

for what it's worth, it's relatively easy (and cheap) to replace the screen on an iphone. i did it on my wife's 4s. the screen itself was less than $20 shipped on Amazon and i watched a tutorial on youtube.

24. Dominicanyor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Wow so the tech lie to me..

----------

I thought about doing it myself many times. I will have to get the correct tools from amazon also.

----------

Well just to let everyone know that my iPhone came back 3 days ago but I did not went and got it until today. I was out of town last week so could not get it. The phone looks new and I have not had an issue with it yet. Well I do have one small issue with my yahoo email that is not recognizing my password. I lock myself out now I will have to wait 12 hrs before I tried again. Other than that it looks good and it works great for now. I really do not like refurbish phone hopefully this one will be a great one..

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Possibly. I always hate to make a claim that someone is lied. In my experience its far more likely that this person just didn't understand the policy himself. I'm really not sure there is any benefit for him to knowingly lie, unless of course he felt you would be happier hearing that apple would be repairing your phone and not a person paid by best buy.

Also, I asked my wife and se said all stores are rolling out the on site replacement, but it's slow. The Boston stores get a lot of traffic, so they are among the first to get the rollout. Best Buy is essentially using heavy traffic markets as tests; feedback from these stores will potentially allow for a better program when the rest of the stores adopt the model. The silly thing is that they had a single two hour training session, left the store with a bunch of test kits to practice, and that was that. Some of the more savvy geek squad agents have been practicing on their own devices and watching tutorials on sites like YouTube (kind of ironic, really), but most of them are basically learning on a trial by fire when customers with broken phones come in. The reason for this is that all practice, unless they elect to do it at home, must be done on best buy time and overtime hasn't been okayed by corporate. This means if they take time during the day, they are potentially short staffed. The good news, for the customer, is that if they botch your phone, they'll replace it with a new one on the spot.

----------

I confirmed with the wife that, for now, this isn't available unless you have the geek squad protection plan. Things can awkward change, of course. If the program is popular enough, I am sure we will see them drop a price tag on replacing screens. After all, Best Buy makes the majority of their profit on services rendered, not products sold.