Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Hello everyone. I just picked up a stainless steel Series 3 last week. I like to charge my watch at the end of the day, rather than overnight. The past three nights, I’ve went to get into bed and took my watch off the charger. I always power down the watch after a full charge so its ready to go in the morning without losing a charge.

After taking the watch off the charger and powering it down, the watch will randomly turn itself right back on. I then have to wait the 2 minutes it takes to boot up, just to power it down again, where then it remains off. As I mentioned, this has happened the past three nights.

Is this happening to anyone else? I was thinking it was a software issue, but it happened on 4.0 and now 4.1.

Thanks!

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
This may be a silly question, but how are you turning the watch off? From what you describe, you are apparently doing a restart.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Why not just leave it on the charger?
This way you won’t have to wait for the reboot.

igrover

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I sometimes have the same problem. Hold the side button in until the slide to power off selection occurs and slide to the right. Watch screen goes blank. Then look at the watch a few hours later and notice it is on again.

I suspect that I during the process of sliding to the right to power off I am possibly hesitating lifting my finger at the end of the swipe or not fully swiping all the way to the right of the screen. What I did do is slow down my swipe to the right and have not had that problem for a few weeks now.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not that the OP is necessarily doing this, but putting a watch on the charger if it’s powered off will force it to turn itself on.

Which is why the OP stated:

After taking the watch off the charger and powering it down, the watch will randomly turn itself right back on.
[doublepost=1510388822][/doublepost]
Hello everyone. I just picked up a stainless steel Series 3 last week. I like to charge my watch at the end of the day, rather than overnight. The past three nights, I’ve went to get into bed and took my watch off the charger. I always power down the watch after a full charge so its ready to go in the morning without losing a charge.

After taking the watch off the charger and powering it down, the watch will randomly turn itself right back on. I then have to wait the 2 minutes it takes to boot up, just to power it down again, where then it remains off. As I mentioned, this has happened the past three nights.

Is this happening to anyone else? I was thinking it was a software issue, but it happened on 4.0 and now 4.1.

Thanks!

What I would attempt is this:

1.) While the Apple Watch is powered on, hold down the digital crown and power button for 10 seconds to do a hard reset to see if that will clear any glitch.

2.) Set the watch up as a new Apple Watch and see if this makes a difference.

Reactions: CrackerJackToy

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Happening to me too since the 4.1 update. I have to power down twice. 42mm Sport 3 LTE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.