My sister is buying her first Mac...a Macbook she has some questions..thanks!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eric Lewis, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Ok here they are
    (i already have an iMac and my parents just switched too..now its her turn!)

1) How can she delete some apps she doesnt need(as in iMovie/iDVD/Garage Band?)

2) How can she save up as much disk space as possible? what can she do?

3) does ms office work on Leopard if she gets that?

4) is there a way she can audio/video chat with msn buddies?

Thats All

Thanks

2. Addni macrumors newbie

1)
    It's probably best to start up by formattin the computer right away, and installin only what you want.

2)
    Read no. 1,
    Deleting originals after importing in iTunes (since iTunes copies the files and sorts them out (this can be turned off tough)
    Watch out for iPhoto, since it makes copies of every file you edit (so if you have edited any file in any way, boom, there's 2 copies of the files on your hard drive), i reccomend Adobe Lightroom instead of iPhoto, since it doesn't make copy of the file, it only makes a small file that remembers the adjustments, but doesn't make a copy)

3)
    Well, of course she will get leopard ;)
    And yes i think MS office works, and I think there is a newer version of MS office coming out soon anyway.

4)
    Yes, trough a msn client called aMSN (well, actually i prefered to use Skype or iChat to use video chat, but aMSN works)

3. ellyr macrumors newbie

1) Yes, but why would you want to? You can take them off the dock if you don't want to see them there and access the programs in Finder/Applications instead. Although I'm not sure if Leopard would handle it the same way with Time Machine etc.

2) Empty trash regularly, use an external hard drive to store things, batch process photos to reduce their file size. Projects made in iMovie are HUGE. Delete unwanted songs from Finder/Music/iTunes (not just from the iTunes program).

3) It should (obviously the Mac version) but you should check out Google docs
    which is currently in beta but it's really functional or download the trial version of MS Office for Mac and try before you buy.

4) MSN for Mac? iChat is good although I don't know if it supports audio/video for MSN.

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

1) In general you can just move the application from /Applications to the trash, but with programs such as garageband and iDVD there are several gigs worth of supporting files (themes/loops etc) You can use something like AppZapper to remove a program and all associated files.
    2) Run monolingual (removes language files you don't need, saves a few gig). Delete printer drivers you don't need (another gig) if you don't use garageband and iDVD that's a few more gig, although I'd recommend keeping the programs until you need the disk space to see if you use the programs or not!
    3) I see why not! There's a new version of office due soon though.
    4) pass, I don't use video chat.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Why isn't your sister asking these questions? [​IMG]

Anyways, here goes:

1. Yes she can easily delete apps if she doesn't need/want them, but honestly, she should give them some time to grow on her before she just dumps them outright. One never knows what interests may bloom later on;)

2. If she really has a storage problem, a good external drive would probably be the best solution. Even cutting out most of iLife will only give her marginal gains in storage. If she's a music and movie fan (who isn't?), then it would be a much better idea to buy an external, because it will provide the best long-term solution.

3. Office should work. I'm assuming she'd buy the new version that's coming out in January (or so Microsoft claims:rolleyes:). It should be quite zippy. In the meantime, make sure she tries out iWork and NeoOffice (iWork has a 30 day trial, while NeoOffice is free;)).

4. Tell her MSN buddies to buy a new Leopard Mac so they can use the cool new features:p (seriously, check out the Leopard Preview).

6. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Well for the Apps (such as iMovie/iDvd/Garage Band) she doesnt need cause my family has an iMac at home..and she just needs the laptop for unveristy such as essays etc...no need for that..so im trying to save space

shes getting it on monday

7. sananda macrumors 68020

why does she need to save space so much? if it's mainly for essays.

8. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

If she's not using it for movies and stuff, space shouldn't be an issue! Whatever model she gets there'll be at least 60gigs of free disk space when its new.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Instead of MS:Office, she should get the FREE NeoOffice :)

Mercury supports video only on MSN (no audio yet). uApp can delete big apps that can't just be moved to the trash and is free. XSlimmer can save a few GBs...

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ok, so if it's just essays, she shouldn't have a storage problem at all. 1GB translates into quite a lot of essays. However, I advise you to wait on the purchase a little longer because the macbooks are likely to see an update quite soon (within two weeks of Leopard's launch is my guess, by Thanksgiving week at the latest). Since most schools started quite some time ago, I'm guessing that her computer broke down or something right? Tell her to be strong and just wait a bit longer. Also, the external would be a good idea because Time Machine will take care of all her backups for her;)

You never answered my first question, why isn't she posting these questions?:confused::confused::confused:

11. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

12. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well her ****** F**KIN Hp crap piece of poo pc

is not working

vista takes 3 minutes to boot
    webcam hardly works on it
    batter is less then 1 hour

and its only like 2 months old..and its just pure crap poo pc!

so she needs a mac ASAP!

13. sananda macrumors 68020

surely there is a warranty ?

14. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

were returning it to costco! anyways

she doesnt doenst want a crappy pc

she wants something sleek and small

15. sananda macrumors 68020

ah! good! but can't she wait a few days to see if there are new macbooks?

16. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

she needs it asap..cause her hp hard drive is dying slowly

17. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Surely santa rosa/ speed bump/ potential new graphics card are worth the cost of a 2 week computer rental.

18. Dotty macrumors member

If your UK based i got a macbook (2ghz/2gig/white/2 months old).

PM me.

19. comebackdwn macrumors regular

20. Dotty macrumors member

excuse me?

21. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Office 2008 for $10 in January

Visit the Apple Store-MS Office Website. She can buy Office 2004 for Mac now and get Office 2008 for only $10 when it is released.

22. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Again, thats not worth it as NeoOffice at the moment is better than Office 2004...

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Tell that to someone under a volume license and network mounting home directories.

Office 2004 doesn't exhibit its old OLE issues but it'll at least run.

24. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, but the OP is not in that situation...

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I really do want to enjoy NeoOffice but even at home it's very flaky.

I can't use it all since it still won't install additional languages and dictionaries.