My solution for "No Sound Output to MacBook Speakers" - Re-route Sound Input / Output

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grantdoug, Jun 27, 2012.

1. grantdoug macrumors newbie

My solution for "No Sound Output to MacBook Speakers" - Re-route Sound Input / Output

I have had this problem on my MacBook Pro, and tried EVERYTHING Apple & Forums suggested - SMC reset, PRAM reset. Apple advised me to send it in for servicing. Since it isn't covered by warranty, I didn't want to do that.

If you do not want to pay Apple to fix your MacBook optical sound jack hardware, you can overcome the problem with this procedure I came up with myself, which overcomes the hardware failure caused by the headphone jack optical sensor thinking something is plugged in there when there isn't.

Ironically, this solution requires a jack be inserted into the headphone jack. Annoying, but workable and free.

Step 1. Plug headphones in (don’t worry, you won’t use them)
    Step 2. Change System Preferences -> Sound -> Change Internal Speakers to an Input!
    Step 3. Done!

Obviously when you do want to use the headphones, you must revert this setting. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. doh123 macrumors 65816

I do not fully know about the problem... but if re-routing works, can anything be done with Soundflower?

Like... route all output to Soundflower 2ch then run SoundflowerBed and have it listen to Soundflower 2ch on your speakers?