My solution to the gun problem (What? There's a problem?)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Jul 20, 2012.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There's one attribute these shooters almost always share. They're male. Just being a man makes you (and me) far more likely to engage in these deadly rampages.

The solution? Give guns to women. Make it mandatory national service. Qualified women* between 30-60 years old would be required to open carry a firearm.

That's how I'd solve that problem. You may now proceed to tell me how crazy I am.

*Screening out ex-convicts, mentally unfit, and for ZA's sake, illegal aliens.

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

The problem is that there are too many guns in the USA currently to fix the problem immediately and the timeframe to make noticeable difference is too long (likely measured in decades) if you actually get momentum to stop sales in the first place.

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well obviously there is no logical consistency (not to mention equality issues) in anything you're saying in your OP so what exactly are we supposed to talk about here?

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is that drugs are illegal and people will kill to get them. Guns are not the issue, ****ed up people are the issue.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Equating drug abusers to murderers is just plain silly.

Not all drug abusers murder and not all murderers are drug abusers.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But how many gun crimes are related to drugs?

How many street crimes are because of drugs?

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The topic of this thread isn't about crime in general. It's about people like the guy in Denver that kill people using guns. Which btw is the tool of choice.

8. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's my logical basis ...

There an often used argument that putting guns in the hands of more people will do two things ...

1. It wil deter violent behavior, Because why would a person perpetrate crime knowing that they would likely attack people with guns themselves.
    2. In the event that violence does occur, it's the people with guns who would be most capable of stopping it and saving lives.
    My proposal would achieve that end. Putting guns in the hands of adult women would go a long way to getting firearms widely distributed amongst the population—approximately 124 million women.

And it puts the guns in the hands of people least likely to use them for ill ...
    So there you have it. More guns in the hands of a thoroughly dispersed population—and most importantly—one far less likely to use the weapons for violence and crime. That seems pretty logical to me.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The guy was unhinged gun or not, he was going to hurt himself and others regardless of the weapon in his hand.

To the OP, why don't we find the people who are mentally ill and get them help before they go on killing sprees. The gun is not the issue it is not finding these people and stopping them before they hurt others.

10. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually I'd envisioned the topic to be about creative ways to deal with a culture awash in guns and no desire to change that.

Or is this just the new status quo ... a massacre every so often?

I'm getting pretty used to it myself.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is the culture really awash in guns?

12. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

How about gun violence?

No?

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

See my post about what is causing it.

What is the ratio of gun owners to killing sprees? Of the million of guns sold each year we have what 1 bad spree every year?

14. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh. So we ARE awash in guns.

You need to make up your mind.

;)

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Are we also awash in cars?

How many people are killed by cars each year, is there an epidemic should they all be banned?

16. barredfreak macrumors 6502

17. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes we are.

Which brings up an important point: for every 4 people who die from motor vehicles, 3 die from firearms.

Think about that for a moment.

Think about how much utility we get from cars, trucks and buses everyday. They literally drive the economy. And for that we endure ~40,000 deaths a year. What do guns add to our daily lives? You don't drive your gun to work. You don't pick the kids up in your gun. You don't bring home the groceries in your gun. Yet we endure ~30,000 deaths for so little utility.

It's really amazing to me.

18. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I must be a little punchy right now, or just weird. For some reason, your line that I quoted above made me think of a line from the movie Dr. Strangelove.

George C Scott, as General Buck Turgeson: "... ten to twenty mega-deaths, tops!"

It's late, and I need to go to sleep.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Of the 30,000 killed by guns, what was the reason for it. Were they drug related, if so lets legalize them and the crime rate would go down. Where they crimes of passion, a kneif could do the same thing. What are the reasons for the crime and of all those deaths how many people use a gun responsable and have never harmed anybody with it.

20. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

For both motor vehicle deaths and gun deaths I didn't differentiate between accident, criminal or suicidal intent. It's just the answer to a very basic question: how many deaths do we endure to keep this in society?

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The day we answer those questions is the day all the prisons close and safety regulations never need updating. Is the problem the tool or the operator.

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The problem is both because both are needed to be functional in the normal sense.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But are both needed to kill? Will senseless deaths stop if we rid the worth of cars and guns.

Are senseless killers that way because of the weapon they use or because they are psychopaths.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Will they stop. Or come to an abrupt halt ? No. But the number of deaths will be greatly decreased.