My sony just dies, woho! compusa is offering me a replacement machine

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by DavidCL23, Apr 19, 2002.

  1. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

    Dec 14, 2001
    My sony just dies, woho! compusa is offering me a replacement machine, and I am about to get my first MAC! I am so excited. Does anyone know how long until apple will release a new powerbook, because I can push compusa off for about a month or so if a new powerbook were to be realeased around that time.
  2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

    Ensign Paris

    Nov 4, 2001
    CompUSA have just stopped selling Macs, so you probably will be able to get a Powerbook667 or a Powerbook500 but they will not be getting any new stock.

  3. Backtothemac macrumors 601


    Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    Um, Ensign, CompUSA has not stopped selling Macs, you are thinking of Circuit $hitty, I mean City. New TiBooks are possible at MWNY, in fact I would say you could be your life on it.
  4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030


    Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I wouldn't be so sure...

    ...I'm betting on a new tower and 10.2 rather than portables, but I could be wrong (or Apple could do all three! wouldn't that be great :))
  5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020


    Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    being a former employee and a first time mac owner, i'd say go as high as you can and get as many accessories as you can without paying out. also, especially for the TiBook, make sure you get at least 2 yrs protection with screen damage included. Accidental Damage Protection on the screen is priceless; i've seen Ti screens go for $1700 before. anyways congrats on your good fortune. :p
  6. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

    Aug 14, 2001
    Exactly. In figuring the price of any new Mac, include the Extended Protection. It's will pay for itself over and over. (to date, extended warranties have saved me over $1,000 on various electronics)

    At the very least, you will have peace of mind. And that's priceless.
  7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

    Jan 22, 2002
    ya things progress so fast its usually best to buy the best of the best out there and keep it for a few years
  8. Taft macrumors 65816


    Jan 31, 2002

    I wasn't going to read this thread. I saw it and thought, "Great. CompUSA is offering him a new Sony. Woopididoo!"

    Then I realized, "Hey wait a sec. Maybe he can pick his machine. And...maybe...he will get...a Mac. Yeah. Now I get it..."

    Sorry. I'm a bit slow on the uptake today.

    I hear that new TiBooks are on the way. But I'm a guy that says: If you're buying new buy it when you want it. Don't wait.

    There's always something better just around the corner and you are always going to have computer envy. A lot of people probably disagree, but that what I do.

  9. King Cobra macrumors 603

    Mar 2, 2002
    I still think that MWNY will be a little late for a new Powerbook. Apple would really have to update their processors to keep up with possible upgrades on the iMac and/or the PowerMac. It wouldn't make sense to see at MWNY a Powerbook maxed out at 800MHz, then iMacs are updated to 900 or 1000MHz, then extremely fast PowerMacs. If Apple does wait for MWNY to release Powerbooks, they would need some much improved speeds, up around 900MHz.

    However, I do not see this as likely.
    (1) Apple last updated their Powerbooks 3 or 4 months after the previous Expo from their release.
    (2) If Apple were to release more Powerbooks at New York they would have to be fast, as previously mentioned. The only time Apple updated their line of Macs in speed increases MORE than 200MHz was from the Gigabit PowerMacs to the Dig. Audio PowerMacs, which was Dual 500MHz to 733MHz, respectively. I do not see Apple jumping forward that much with their PowerBooks.

    Then, again, people do dream of chrome... :)

    Anytime is a great time for iPod.
  10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Nov 1, 2001
    If you can't wait until July, at least wait until WWDC, May 6th. There is a possibility of some new hardware, but you never know. It all depends on how long CompUSA will let you slide.
  11. DavidCL23 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Dec 14, 2001
    I can get compusa to wait until may 6th, I'm just not sure I can get myself to wait that long.

Share This Page