My step-mother has seen the light, how does she prove she is a teacher?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by doktordoris, Apr 22, 2010.

1. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Hullo,
    My step-mother, who is a teacher, has seen my MBP and has decided owning a mac is the way to go.
    She wants to buy a mac-mini to replace her home PC for email, writing reports etc.
    If she orders online how does she prove she is a teacher?

doris

2. bighouse14 macrumors newbie

My sister just ordered one and the answer is...you don't. You click a box that promises you are a teacher, and presumably they could come ask for proof but her order went through no problem.

3. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

That's great, thanks.
    My dad wants to get it for her as a surprise birthday gift, so that's perfect.

doris

4. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

yeah, your fine, just click and purchase...I've heard that they occasionally do random screening and verification but I've never heard of anyone that that has happened to.

5. EasyJW macrumors member

when getting educational discount online, I had to use my universities ISP to buy it, possibly if it is bought through the schools servers that may work? however thats not gonna be a surprise gift if she has to buy it herself :-/ they might request a phone call or something

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Some schools has dedicated web store

NO. Only one discount per item. Refurb counts as a discount.

8. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

My in law lied and said he was a student so as to get the student discount online for a MBP.

Got the iPod deal too.

9 months later he dropped it in the kitchen and busted the screen.

Karma can be a real pain.

s.

9. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Actually I just bought and paid for it using my dad's credit card. I got the education discount and no questions were asked.

The mini should have been 510 pounds and I got it for 479, so the discount wasn't that great.

However 3 weeks ago I bought a MBP for 1340 pounds, so tomorrow when the store is open I shall call them, point out that I bought a MBP recently and tell them that the mini was only ordered because she loves my MBP and I recommended she switch to a Mac. Then I will ask if they can give me any extra freebies.

doris