My story on how Apple gave me a 2.6 17" Hi-Res MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scott9s, Apr 6, 2008.

1. scott9s macrumors member

Hey all,

I had an exceptional service experience at my local Apple store.

I brought my two-week old 17" 2.5 hi-res MBP in to the Genius Bar this past weekend.

Here's why: the button my laptop screen was super difficult to open.

Then, the backlit keyboard didn't really work. it lit very unevenly. I didn't notice it at first until I set my down to my wife's 15 MBP. Now, my 3 year old son may have caused the uneven backlit keyboard, but we'll save that for another day, but the difficult latch was there from the beginning.

Long story short, the Great Service at Apple told me that they'd like to replace it since it was a hard-ware issue, and it was so new. The did this with very little hassle at all. It was quick, painless, and they were very supportive. However, they did not have a like-model 17" hi-res MBP in stock. Here's what they offered to do:

a) Order the exact 17" Hi-res 2.5 GHz MBP from Apple and wait the 2 weeks or whatever the lead time is these days.

b) Give me a 17" Hi-res 2.6 GHZ MBP there that day and transfer my files to the new MBP drive.

I took the 17" 2.6 GHZ. However, I asked, and apple store employee obliged, to keep my 5400 spin 250 GB drive instead of the 7200 spin 200 GB drive. Basically, I had set-up a 50GB boot camp, and I was little worried that the back-up process would screw up the boot-camp. Additionally, I want the extra space over the performance improvements.

that's my story. So many of these forum posts are how Apple screwed them, or the MBP are problems. I felt Apple did right by me.

I am little worried that the 2.6 will cause more heat and less battery life, but hey. that's okay. In fact with VMWare Fusion, safari, adium, system preferences, and few widgets running, my MBP is hovering around 47 C.

As I said before, so far so good with my second new MBP.

I have to say, I was dreading going back to my old laptop. I almost want to buy a used macbook or something as a backup just in case I have to do more service.

Anyone have any thoughts? ---

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

my thoughts are that apple support really is good despite the few people who have had problems. You should not always judge the amount of crys for help on a forum like this because people usually come to complain about the bad things not talk about the good things. LOL does that make sense?

ANyways congratulations

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I'm glad you got exemplary service. I've had mostly great service from Apple, with one or two really infuriating episodes thrown in for good measure.

I own a separate MacBook as a secondary laptop, for precisely the reason you stated. In fact, it came in very handy for me a few months ago when I had to send the MBP in for a very minor repair that the depot in Texas royally screwed up. In short, I was without the MBP for nearly three weeks as they got the whole mess sorted out. I had a lot of work to get done, and the MacBook swooped in to save the day.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

You probably wont experience a change in battery life or heat. On battery power they downclock.

5. Sogo macrumors 6502

Nice deal! We need to hear about the good service received buy customers. I mean if you just look at the forums, you would think apple had horrible customer service.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree. I've had wonderful experiences with the Genius Bars.

In one case, I had been having trouble with a logic board issue. They replaced the logic board after Apple Care had expired.

The key is to be polite, treat them with respect, and ask nicely for what you want. They really do want to help you in most cases.

7. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Scott, I'm sure the reason you got your way is because you were calm and civil about the whole issue, which, with retailers goes a lonnnnnnnnnng way! Most of the people who have problems probably go into the issue expecting a fight

8. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I've also had good experiences with the Genius Bar at :apple: stores. If I have a issue I need help with, I try to go in as early in the day as possible (right at opening if I can). It's usually less crowded and they can focus more on your problem. :cool: