My story: Theft, Apples, New Homes, and Police.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Messy, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Messy macrumors 6502

Evening all,

Thought i'd tell you all about some recent events that have happened to me.

Lets start with last week, i moved into my new house, but not before buying myself a new 42" LG LCD, it was lovely, 200hz screen, built in wireless. I moved into my new home on the Saturday before, 5/6 car trips and a bit of help from friends later I got everything moved in. I set up the wireless, the new TV, did my first shop and settled in.

I spent the weekend relaxing, slowly unpacking everything, it'd been an expensive move, and a busy one (they do say they're some of the most stressful times!).

Monday came, and i cooked for two of my friends, we relaxed in front of the new TV, and i enjoyed having my own place with good company. Lovely day, really relaxing, i love entertaining for friends and good food!

Well.

This is where everything takes a downturn.

Tuesday morning, around 5am i was broken into, everything was stolen. They stole the TV, two Laptops, my iPhone charger (!), everything i own pretty much, everything they could carry.

I awoke to a large bang, i rushed downstairs and saw the door wide open, and everything gone. I ran outside to see if i could find anyone, no sign.

Oh did i mention they even stole my Wacom Tablet? :(

Police came some 10 minutes after, unfortunately they couldnt find anyone.

They took a statement from me, I took the day off from work, i was gutted.

I didnt have contents insurance, i had moved in only a couple of days before so i lost everything. I can't replace all that stuff, i certainly won't be able to for a while to come.

So, that brings me to you guys.

I needed to get back on the net at home, money is tight and since i just moved in i wasnt exactly wanting to spend a tonne of cash.

It was a toss up between getting a cheap netbook, or a macbook.

I decided to go for the MacBook.

I searched and searched, i had a budget of £300 -yes, thats nothing, how could i get something for that? Put it this way, i dont actually have money to eat now, since this was the *last* of my money till i get paid at the end of this month. :(

I was patient, and within about two days i found a MB.

It was a Dual Core 1.83, it had 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD. It suffered from the dreaded 'crackbook' cracks that the 2007 models had.

I bought it for £290, i made a 'best offer' and the chap accepted it. I was very happy.

It arrived a few days later, it had cracks near the track pad, which kinda sucked.

Before it arrived i did a bit of searching on the internet and came across the MacRumours community, you guys! :)

I lurked around the MB section, and noticed Apple were repairing the MB's for free!

As soon as it arrived i took it up to my local Apple store (Bath, UK).

They replaced the trackpad, uppercase and keyboard completely free for me, within about 25 minutes.

To say i was happy was an understatement. Amazing customer service, the MB is over 3 years old and they still repaired it for me, for free! Impressed!

To top it off, one of the guys at work gave me 2GB of RAM, so now ive upped the spec slightly :)

So thanks really to you guys, you helped me feel a little more happier with my MB and the ****** situation i had to go through, i wouldnt have known about the free repairs if it wasn't for you guys.

Im new to Apple, so im sure i'll need lots of help along the way, but im learning fast.

So, ive got no money, my house has nothing in it and has been cleared out, which sucks, i can't afford food.

BUT, i now have a nice little MacBook, parts replaced by Apple for free (thanks to you guys) that runs really well and has kept my sanity at home.

Kudos to you guys and Apple.

:)

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Sorry for your losses. At least things are looking on the up now :)

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Damn, that is quite a story. It sucks that you were robbed. For the future you might want to invest in a good alarm system and renters/homeowners insurance.

4. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh absolutely, but unfortunately i moved in on the Saturday, it was Bank Holiday Monday, and on Tuesday i was broken into. So no time unfortunately to arrange contents insurance.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Man, that really stinks. Sorry for your loss. How did the robbers get in?

6. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Smashed a small glass window to the side of the door, and forced the lock.

7. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

While you slept??

1. How did u not wake up??
    2. You were lucky they didn't make this into a hostage situation!

8. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

What can i say, long weekend, not much sleep, early night for work in the morning.

As for being held in a hostage situation, im not the smallest of guys, i would trade everything i have left for the opportunity to be there whilst they broke in.

9. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

:eek::eek::eek:
    Wow. I can't imagine how much that sucks. My Performa 6200 was stolen in the mail back in '97, along with all my backups. I lost the only copies of files I had for the better part of a decade. Still, that doesn't compare to what happened to you. Glad to hear your story had a semi-happy ending, at least.

This too shall pass.

10. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Are you renting this new place or is it a house you are buying?

If you were buying the house it would have been required that you have insurance at the time of closing. Most insurance plans i have seen include contents insurance by default.

The reason i ask is because my homeowners insurance included property damage/loss/theft as part of the standard package. I think i can remove it to lower the price... but why would i bother.

Sorry about the break in and the stuff that was stolen, hopefully everything takes a turn for the better.

11. Messy thread starter macrumors 6502

Rented, so no dice.

12. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Sorry about your losses, Messy. That really sucks.

My semi-educated guess? This wasn't entirely random. I have a hunch that one of the thieves noticed early on that you were moving in, and cased your new house for later activity, noting the items in your car as you drove up. Five or six loads of stuff is rather hard not to notice, and the icing on the cake for the thieves was the very visible big-screen TV.