My story with the 199 or 249 Refurbished iPhones at AT&T Stores

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by diehardmacfan, Mar 13, 2008.

1. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

I live in Greenwich, CT and after hearing the story about the iPhones for 199 and 249 at AT&T stores I convinced myself to go out and buy one. Today they were out of the 4 GB ones so I got the 8 GB one. They come in these AT&T boxes with all the accessories and the phone itself is in excellent condition! I cannot see any scratches on it at all.

The wierd thing is that they dont come with a sim card at all. I turned it on with no sim card in it and it was completely activated with 1.1.2. I can use it for wi-fi and after getting home i found out I can use it for syncing to itunes as well. I plugged it into iTunes with no sim card in and it recognized it like a new ipod but it said iphone. No contract questions asked.

I did ask the guy at AT&T for a blank sim card to try out. When i put that it the iPhone was still usable for wifi but when i plug it into itunes it asked me to register with at&t and pay activate my phone. So with the Sim card out it works great for me and has all the features except the phone.

The guy at AT&T made sure that he told me to not to unlock it. I forgot to ask about how much the warranty was but I asked the person at the apple store and she said she thought it was probably the same as new ones, which is one year.

So I am very happy for my purchase where I have an 8GB iphone in basically perfect condition without doing any hacking to get it activated. I will be getting a contract with AT&T soon because i do want to use it as a phone. So this is a great buy at $250 for basically the same thing which originally sold at $599.

Julian

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you should have a year warranty with it-- that is what comes with any refurb product-- sounds like a good deal!

3. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Great deal as I got one a few days ago as well the 8gig refurb...it has a one year warranty as well!

PS the AT&T guy would never say to Unlock it.. PS you can...

When the new ones come out Ill give this one to my wife...

4. Hoo03 macrumors regular

That's exactly what happened when I first turned on my refurb 8GB from AT&T. I was, however, given a sim card separately during my purchase.

Now I'm on the AT&T prepay plan and could not be more happier with the phone.