My successful friend is feeling really down everyone is jealous of him

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I have a friend who has worked really hard over the years, took some smart calculated risks along the way, and with good luck ended up doing really well in life.

He’s dating a professional model, drives a Range Rover, stays in a beautiful penthouse, has a lot money, and his business is doing pretty well. He also got in shape over the last couple years and wears nice clothes.

But the thing he’s been feeling really down lately bc even family members are jealous and don’t like he became so successful.

EVERYONE PUTS HIM DOWN!

Any suggestions on how he could deal with this emotional pain?

2. jkcerda, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018

jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Tequila? Whisky? Learning not to give a f.....?
    What are the odds that he is the problem and not his family? Perhaps he gloats too much.

3. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

He should post on Macrumors. That will cheer him up.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Find new friends and ignore his family?

5. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

I can't believe the "social issues" part of PRSI was really meant to deal with social issues at this particular level...

Why not have the mods move the thread over to Community Discussion forum instead? For one thing your potential audience will be larger since a lot of people are unable to post in PRSI for various reasons including being too new to have made the post count minimum, etc.

So that's my suggestion to you.

My suggestion to your friend is to lie in the bed he's made for himself (so basically yeah, not to worry about what others think of him).

Either that or (better idea): he could look in the mirror some morning and ask if he ever thinks about much past himself and how successful he is and what other people think of him. Pretty sad if the answer is no...

If he will spend time giving a leg up to people who could use it -- mentoring subordinates at work, doing a little volunteer work once a week someplace, maybe teaching people how to code or helping illiterate adults learn how to read, he'll gain admiration from other people as a fringe benefit.

The secret sauce of life is to get out there and live it, don't spend too much time trying to get your smile right in the mirror for that special audience of one.

Hmm. Maybe this thread belongs in PRSI after all. Is your special friend a guy who hangs out in the Oval Office these days? :D

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's my personal opinion that people who says they're dating a professional model are likely lying, aside from that, I suspect that the reason people make fun is not his success, but his pretensions.

A Range Rover. A Penthouse. A professional model? Are all the marks of someone making a big deal out of a car, an apartment, and a pretty girl. And using all of those as status symbols.

7. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Post of the day. Even though the day is less than 15 minutes old.

8. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

LOL

Attached Files:

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Ok! Sounds good to me. I’ll pass it on. I’m sure it will help. Thanks!

10. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

:D lol OK then.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And for those unfamiliar with the internet shrug...

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/05/the-best-way-to-type-__/371351/

11. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

12. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

I'm sure, although success often has a few components of luck associated to that upward path. Still, he's not happy? The Atlantic has a current piece about research on people who become extremely successful in financial terms: they often seem unable to locate the happiness goal post, no matter how much money they make.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/12/rich-people-happy-money/577231/

13. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I mean I don’t think luck and hard work are mutually exclusive. You can be both?

And no I mean I don’t think he’s HAPPIER per se but then again I don’t think he’s LESS happy either ya know?

Everyone gets down about things sometimes about some issues they may have. Nobody goes through life without ups and downs I would guess.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You know this is way out of left field but I'm gonna guess your friend is you.

15. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I feel the OP is trying to make a lager point.;)

16. nebo1ss, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Look who is back posting nonsense. From previous post i believe you are talking about yourself or perhaps an image you imagine for yourself.

17. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

I think he cares too much about what others think of him, maybe because he likes to show off too much.

18. Tech198 macrumors G5

lol... yep... it always work well it seems. :)

19. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, they always come up with articles about how money doesn’t make you happy but that’s just to make poor people feel better. Having money and lots of it trumps having little or not enough money every single time and it isn’t even close. How can money not make one happy? You can do whatever you want, when you want. You can help others, buy fun things, etc, etc. there is no limit.

If you have lots of money and are still miserable then you’re doing it wrong. :)

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Maybe instead of always being purposely ostentatious you should dial it back a notch. Enjoy life instead of ramming your possessions in someone else's face. Does a Range Rover really make you happy? Why? Do you go on Safari a lot? Does the career of your girlfriend impact how people view you?

You have never started a thread - NEVER - that didn't revolve around how others see you and your perceived success.

22. laptech macrumors 6502

laptech

Is it really jealousy or actual resentment the mans family members feel towards him?

Gaining success in life due to the efforts of hard work should be applauded but that success can come at a heavy price if the successful person beings to start having low expectations of others and loss of empathy towards others.

Feeling jealous about his lifestyle is only natural but i am sure his family are happy for him and applaud him for how he has achieved his success but that jealousy can quickly turn to resentment if he persistently rubs his success in their faces. Things like making hints at how expensive something he bought is or over emphasizing how good an expensive holiday was or a meal or a trip.

Basically, is he tactful about how he goes about showing off his successful lifestyle to his family or is he the boastful type 'hey look at me and what I've got', type of thing.

23. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

Uhm... askin for a friend...

24. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Or maybe a wine point :eek:

25. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

How very a-stout of you to say that.