"my "T" key is stuck, MB starts in Target Disk Mode, what can I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Katvelt88, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Katvelt88 macrumors newbie

Earlier today I found that one of my keys (T) stopped working. I turned off my macbook and when I turned it on again, the screen was gray with a big icon floating across the screen. What happened? :confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You are probably in Target Disk Mode, which is triggered by holding down the "T" key right after the power button is pushed.

The symbol you are seeing is the symbol for Firewire.
    [​IMG]

Can you see if the T key is stuck somehow?

Also what Mac do you have? MacBook (white, aluminium unibody or white unibody) or iBook, and when did you buy it (month and year if new)?

Do you still have warranty?

3. Katvelt88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the white macbook (not the new one, but the one that keeps chipping) and I've had it for about 2 years now..I removed the T key cover to see if it was stuck but it would not work :( and I think my warranty may be up...

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have not bought the Extended Apple Care Protection Plan in the first year of your purchase, or not any other warranty the seller of your MacBook has offered, then you're out of warranty.

Maybe change the thread title to something like "my "T" key is stuck, MB starts in Target Disk Mode, what can I do?"

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

5. Katvelt88 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you searched the forums for similar problems, it doesn't need to be the "T" key though?
    MRoogle is quite a good tool to search these forums.

7. Katvelt88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking at it now, didn't know this existed. I'm just looking for a way to get out of target disk mode, so that it can load normally...I'm still trying to figure out how this happened.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Has any sticky fluid come into contact with your keyboard?

[​IMG]

There are other sticky fluids besides the one coming out the orifices of the animal body. Orange juice, beer, wine, cola, lemonade and so on.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Ewwwww........:eek:

10. Katvelt88 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes but I wiped it up...dang cereal :(

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The this might be the culprit. Do you think you can clean that with some handy tool you might have lying around? Like a toothbrush or something similar?

But it only works if the T cover is removed as you already did.

12. Katvelt88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I could do that, I would probably have to remove more keys in the process. I've been leaning towards getting a new laptop anyway, and this may be it for that humpty dumpty looking thing.

13. fluffyx macrumors 6502

You need a new keyboard. You're welcome to try, but I don't think cleaning your MacBook's keyboard is going to fix it.

I suggest you call some local Mac repair shops and get a quote on replacing the keyboard (or they might call it a "top case").

Our price for that repair is pretty competitive: $150, which includes parts, labor, shipping, and tax.

14. JacaByte macrumors 6502

The 15" Unibody MBP has 56 screws holding in the keyboard. If Apple went off the same design for their polycarb 2008 Macbook, well, uh, that's a lot of tiny black screws to take out and put back in. I'm sure whoever is screwing and unscrewing all those will enjoy doing that.

15. Katvelt88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I booted it back in safe mode and now some other keys won't work (including the ones I need to log in). Would a wireless keyboard work for now until I get it repaired?

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A wired keyboard would be better during booting, but a wireless might work too.

But if any of the keys on the MB's keyboard are stuck, even the external keyboard will not help you, because it does not disable the internal keyboard.