My take on the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adildacoolset, Jun 8, 2012.

1. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Okay, so those high-resolution renderings are out here are my takes:

1. Shape and Size
    The size is 4" which doesn't seem too big. I certainly do hope Apple don't jump on the boat samsung is in, with the fairly bizarre idea that bigger is better in the mobile world. Soo, I'd say that samsung might as well merge the galaxy S line and the note. But to keep it on topic, 4" should be the max. That size would be good. Although I would prefer apple to keep the 3:2 aspect ratio and reduce fragmentation.

But I also see some daily weird android fans saying that this iPhone screen is too long. Haha, and their android phone uses the same aspect ratio.

The shape seems to retain its sleekness by being thinner and flat. If it were teardrop, the iPhone would lose one of its core features where any orientation is okay. With a teardrop, it would feel good in portrait but very strange and uneven on landscape.

2. Materials
    Their use of metal as the main material is really good. I really like the way it looks. No more would a case be needed. How does anyone know that the strips are plastic? They could be ceramics. Don't draw a conclusion this early. Another thing I've seen weird android fans do. They criticize the fact that apple have used plastic– even though its not a certainty– and go to their 100% plastic android phones. Haha again. I guess some people just can't stand Apple's success, and find whatever fault they can.

2. emacna1 macrumors regular

Did you make this post just to bash "weird android fans?"

You seem to not know much about the cell phone industry. In regards to this:

I can say with a fair amount of confidence that Apple could very well be the last major phone manufacturer (save for RIM) to not have a 4" or larger screened device. Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Huawei, etc. have all released at least one, if not multiple, 4" or larger screened devices.

3. matttye macrumors 601

Bigger is better (yeah yeah I know, that's what she said) - to an extent. As long as it's mostly usable with one hand, then the bigger the better. 4.8" is fine with one handed use unless I want to use the upper left corner (right handed), which is a bit of a stretch.

Not sure why you'd rather have a smaller screen when you could have a bigger one which is just as usable.

Metal isn't very good for signal to pass through, so they need some other materials on there too. Liquidmetal might be different, I don't know.

I prefer lighter plastic.

4. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

I believe you are referring to the sixth generation of the iPhone. The iPhone 5 (5th iteration) already exists it is the iPhone 4s

This may be a pointless post but I felt you needed correcting ;)

5. UCLAKoolman, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Two of my coworkers have a galaxy nexus and one has a razr. Their devices are too big for my purposes, and while the screens are nice the build quality and design are not on par with the iPhone. I hope if Apple makes a 4" iPhone it will retain the similar size and shape of the 4S.

My philosophy with gadgets is to enjoy what works for me! On that note, I'm not sure why you're in an iPhone forum, as it seems that this device does not fit your needs. I see that you have a Galaxy S3. That phone has a pretty awesome spec sheet! I think Samsung could have designed a prettier device to encase those internals, however. Compared to the beautiful design of the S2, the S3 looks hideous :/

Edit: If I had first looked at your previous post history I wouldn't have replied to you. I don't understand why people feel so adamant about a mobile OS that they need to visit a competitor's forum and argue incessantly. Seems that xda would be of more interest for discussing your choice of smartphone. This is an iPhone forum, so of course you're going to see the occasional Apple fanboy ranting about iPhone superiority. My advice: don't take it personally. Do you really think you'll sway these people's opinions?

6. matttye macrumors 601

It looks better in person than in the pics. I wasn't overly impressed with the design until I held it.

I'm a tech enthusiast. I like following and discussing what's going on with the latest smartphones. I do like the iPhone and iPad, I just think there's a lot of false information about Android floating around. Nothing wrong with a good debate!

FYI I tend to only reply to threads that others have started; I'm not here to troll. If other people didn't talk crap about Android or say that the iPhone is better because of xyz, then I wouldn't post about Android. Other people start these discussions, I simply join in. I try not to be rude too. :)

There's sometimes more discussion about Android here than in the Android forums I visit!

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

That's what she said.

8. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

The difference between the other phones is that they lack the same dominance in software, and they also need to make the bigger screen to attract different users in the market. Some people love the large screens and thats their take, but a 4 inch screen is not too big to complain about, and you can't complain that it is too small either. It's a good move on Apple's part, they will have reasoning behind the 4 inch screen as well which probably won't be "because all the other phones have bigger screens" That just isn't Apple..Maybe they will be able to attract a lot of the 4.3 inch screen users while keeping their iPhone fan base.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Common denominator

RIM and Apple both develop their OS and hardware and do not license.

Everyone else licenses Android, WinMob or something else which means the only way to differentiate themselves is to feature-creep their product to gain a leg up on the competition.

This leads to consumers thinking 5.1" phones make sense or some other nonsense.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    The only fairly bizzare thing I see here is that the OP's location is somehow dependent on my geography skills.

Regarding the iPhone 5. I like it more and more with each passing day.

11. DroidConvert macrumors regular

I agree about the screen size. Having come from a Razr which is just too big IMO, the iPhone is a breath of fresh air. Of all of the Androids I owned my favorite was the Incredible, ironically a 3.5" screen.

The reason that Androids are getting bigger is competition. Since there are so many different Android phones out there the main thing manufacturers do to try to one-up the competition is to say that we have a bigger phone. It's something that immediately stands out to customers that are being sold a screen by cell phone company sales people.

A screen doesn't need to be huge to be better, it just needs to offer a good quality user experience.

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Then why have it? Or, for that matter, why have it say that you hate macrumors?

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

People are starting to wise up. I've seen some new iPhone converts from Android and the first thing I ask them is "how are you handling the smaller screen?" and all pretty much say that it was an initial adjustment but they were ok with it. Then I show them the Reader function in Safari and half never new that feature is there waiting for them to use.

14. DroidConvert macrumors regular

That was my biggest concern about switching. But the Retina display is so crisp and clear that it's not an issue at all. I wouldn't watch a movie on it, but I wouldn't watch a movie on a 4-5" screen either.

15. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I just think its amazing how many of us assume this is the real thing. Guess we didn't learn our lesson from last year. It's obviously easy to convince the world that a future apple product is going to look like x. Next year I'm going to do a design and convince the world that it's the next big thing. Why Not?!!

16. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

At this point, Apple could release the iPhone 5 with a 3" screen and it would still be the best selling phone in the world. On the contrary, they could also release a 6" phone and have the same effect. In short, Apple can do whatever they want and the phone will still sell like hotcakes. That's when you know you are a successful company.

17. Doombringer macrumors regular

Entirely untrue. Any successful company can release a product that flops. Apple hasn't gotten where they are by taking stupid risks -- they learned from the products they release that did fall flat on their faces, and they are smarter for it.

Apple will release a device that is one apart from their competitors. It may have some of the features seen in their competitors' devices, certainly, but such is the way of the market. Samsung, Motorola, HTC... they're not releasing larger phones to "one up" each other, they see a need/want for such devices in the market. They're satisfying that need. Many, many users are willing to sacrifice a little size and weight for a more enjoyable experience (better screen, processing capability, battery life, misc. features, etc.).

18. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    There is far more evidence of this redesign than last years. Plus a redesign last year was unlikely anyway due to just having one with the iPhone 4.

Majority of educated MacRumors readers knew before the 4S came out that it wasn't going to have that new design.

Honestly, I think anyone who doesn't believe this is the next iPhone (at at least one of the top top design options) is completely in denial. This is a very real prototype design. Apple won't release for another 3-4 months so it's very possible another prototype could be selected.

In fact I have have a mind to believe this could be a controlled leak to gauge customer reaction to the new aspect ratio.

19. mnsportsgeek, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Apple is not like every other successful company. They have gotten to where they are by finding value in their products that other manufacturers can't see. They have gotten to where they are by creating (and copying minor features) products and software, but portraying it in a way that makes the consumer feel like they need that product. It's not the products themselves as there are plenty other "more powerful" products that do not sell well. It's the fact that Apple controls both the OS and the product that give the user that experience. It's not the product. It's seamless experience.

The product could be any number of things: a 3" screen, 6" screen, physical keyboard, etc. etc. but as long as Apple can provide that seamless connection between product and software, they can do whatever they want and remain arguably the most successful company in the world.

Just ask yourself what separates Apple from other companies. They have an ecosystem that they have built that allows all of their products to just work together. Samsung does not have that. HTC does not have that. Acer and HP don't have that with their laptops. That's why Microsoft is not the powerhouse it once was. Apple has a top notch software built specifically for ONE product. That's the key to success and Apple has proved it. Steve Jobs proved it. That's how Apple develops a personal connection with their customers and that is how everything they make sells like hotcakes.

20. transphasic macrumors member

To both of you, I say:

01001001001000000110110001101111011101100110010100100000011011010110000101100011011100100111010101101101011011110111001001110011

----------

Personally, i just got the ip4 last week after 5 years with a BB, so i am not really in a position to comment, but i would find a larger screen appealing.

The galaxy though seems huge, and the screen seemed very fuzzy and low quality. Between a sharper smaller screen and fuzzier big one, I'll take the smaller.

21. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I really don't care if the screen is bigger or if the footprint is exactly the same as the 4 again. I'm just surprised how many people still hold their phone to their ear.

Bluetooth, earbuds, speaker.. & still people are concerned about how comfortable it will be to talk on like it was a 1970 pay phone.

22. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I love the term "Feature Creep"

I think I'll rename the band.....

23. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

This whole concept isnt a certainty. Its a rumored leak. Doesnt mean any of what you saw and read is gospel.
    A metal back(if that holds true) will be nice but a case will probably be needed as that case will be real slippery just like the original iPhone is.