My Theory on Why Apple Is Holding Off Another Gen for 4G/LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlackBook88, Oct 14, 2011.

1. BlackBook88 macrumors member

I owned the Verizon HTC thunderbolt. Which is a top of the line phone. I bought this phone because Verizon assured me that I would have full 4G lte coverage in my town. Boy were they so full of crap. I barly ever had 4G in my town. And i Live in south florida which is has some of the highest numbers of 4G towers. Simply apple realizes that there is no point in jumping into the 4G market when it isn't even ready yet, which also requires an entire redesign of the iPhone to fit LTE antennas and 3G antennas. Thus a more Bulky phone for getting 4G coverage about 5 percent of the time.
    4G does offer incredible speeds don't get me wrong. But a lot of people would be very disappointed in how much it drains the battery. Would the average iPhone User want to suffer that much of there battery for a substancial DL/Upload speed increase.
    Also from what I saw from the keynote. They were able to manipulate the antennas to work simultaneously and from what the charts displayed, we should get the same speeds from our 3G device as others are getting from their android 4G devices WHEN THEY ARE IN 4G ZONES.
    They are waiting for the 4G LTE platform to mature before stepping into those waters. But the Next refresh likely the iPhone 5 will have 4G LTE antennas. But I completely agree with apple waiting and giving us a decent upgrade with the 4S to hold us over until the major refresh most likely 10 months from now.

2. psblake macrumors member

My theory. They do not have to they are selling plenty of phones without putting any real new features into it other than the camera and siri. This is a business that milks as much money out of older technology as it can get. Apple has never put cutting edge technology into its products. It has always given a good user experience with less than cutting edge hardware.

Apple charges premium prices for last years hardware because it can.

3. BlackBook88 thread starter macrumors member

Last years technology? I guarantee that the processor speeds of the A5 chip in an iphone along with the new camera will beat anything on the market in those categories. They sell the products simply because they work best and are the most user friendly products out there with OUTSTANDING build quality.

4. Nioxic macrumors regular

didnt they up the data speed on the 4S compared to the 4?

i mean, how many have nice LTE coverage anyways? its probably such a low % that its not gonna be a deal breaker for most people

5. WytRaven macrumors 6502

There's no need for a theory. Both Apple and Microsoft have been quite vocal about why they aren't supporting LTE directly yet. The currently available chipsets are way too power hungry.

6. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    As WytRaven said, the chips just don't exist yet. While it's true, Apple is in no rush since LTE is just barely being rolled out, Apple isn't willing to give up on their long battery life. Honestly I'll be surprised if the next iPhone has LTE either (at least, if they do another October launch), the chips Apple wants won't be ready until quite a bit later.

7. BlackBook88 thread starter macrumors member

was I right? or was I right? callleddd it

8. darster Suspended