My thoughts on the release of the new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jay9495, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Jay9495 macrumors regular

Hi all, this isn't a troll thread, I just want all of you to hear my opinions :)

First off I don't believe that apple will get rid of their desktop lineup, it would be crazy.

Basically apples main goal of WWDC was to show off software and show the world their portable computers, and releasing the iMac on the same day would result in people barely even noticing it (if its was just a spec bump) and they wouldn't want that, they want to focus on laptops for now, the iMacs and most likely Mac minis will probably be released around the date of ML to ensure it gets the attention it deserves

I think the iMac will be released later on,if it's going to get a big update they will probably announce another conference with mountain lion or if just a spec bump just a silent refresh, but they will leave a big enough gap between the MacBooks and iMac to ensure that both products don't steal each others focus.

Ps. I believe the iMac will most likely get the GTX 680m or a higher nvidia card and the same choice as the new retina MacBook pros, regarding retina, because retina on a 27" iMac will require a pretty decent paycheck, and not everyone can afford that, especially seeing that the retina MacBook pro is $3100 in australia and thats just a 15" screen imagine a 27" screen in retina.

2. Nandifix macrumors 6502

Yep, I agree with you about this. Retina would indeed add a huge cost onto the iMac and we won't realistically see a retina iMac until late 2013.

3. Tumej macrumors member

4. Runnernorth macrumors member

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I'm not so sure about the huge cost. The retina MacBook Pros also have SSD storage. Upgrade the matching MBP with a matching SSD and it is more expensive that the equivalent Retina MBP.

I saw a report that the Retina display in the MBP costs Apple about $150. A 15" 1080p IPS would apparently be $100, with the non-IPS panels in the non-Retina MBP costing $40-45.

The iMac is already IPS, so the equivalent jump would be a 50% rise for the panel. I can find the current panels online for $300, and it probably costs Apple less than that. Even so, these lose figures suggest it will cost Apple an extra $100. And that is an amount that Apple might consider absorbing to introduce a competitive advantage (expected reduced margins were mentioned in shareholder reports ahead of iOS Retina adoption, so it appears they have done this before).

6. lozpop macrumors 6502

I agree. About the Retina display, I don't think we will see it on the iMac very soon. Maybe in 2013.