My Top 10 iPad games as of 5/28/10

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by WilliamG, May 28, 2010.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

I figure that most of you probably don't care, but whatever!

This is in NO particular order, but here we go...

1.) Flight Control HD
    Yes, most of you have probably played this on the iPhone, but it's just wonderful on the iPad because of its bigger screen. Just awesome.

2.) Chain Link
    I'm addicted to this one, and draw all over my screen in my futile attempts to break chain records! A very simple idea, made very fun. And it's cheap, too!

3.) Pinball HD
    This is a great pinball game, and the latest updates make it even better. Super smooth framerate, customizable views etc make this one a winner!

4.) Roswell
    For those of you that like vertical scrolling shooters (think Ikaruga without the insanity), then this should be high on your list. The soundtrack is INSANE, and the graphics are gorgeous. A ton of fun, and no other iPad game comes close to this one in what it does.

5.) Hotel Mogul
    This is currently a fave of mine and the wife. VERY polished interface. If you like time-management games, this one should be on your shortlist. Great, great stuff. You can tell the developers put a lot of work into this. Oh, and the story is just hilarious and straight out of left-field.

6.) Plants vs Zombies
    OK. Seriously. If you haven't played this by now, you don't deserve an iPad. A MUST-play, even if it's quite steeply priced compared to the iPhone version, but the graphics upgrade is well worth it. This is the best playing version of the game, including the PC and Mac version (though the Mac/PC versions have a few more things to do). All the levels are present and correct here, and you need to play it if you haven't.

7.) Space Station Frontier HD
    This is a fantastic game. Part tower defense, part ...something else. This is a must-play if you like to be challenged. This is a great iPad upgrade to the iPhone original. Seriously, play this one already!

8.) Broken Sword: Director's Cut HD
    This is one of the best adventure games (point-n-click) ever released, and now it's seen a timely release on the iPad. If you haven't played this game, you're in for a REAL treat. This is a huge game, which will take you quite a while to beat, with full voice-overs, lovely graphics etc. This is the best portable version that exists, and is just a wonderful adventure with great production values.

9.) Azkend HD
    Boy, this game has production values through the roof. This is a great puzzler, part Bejeweled, part Tetris Attack, part... other things. I dunno. Mad. But what sets this apart is the wonderful graphics, sweeping music, wonderful presentation, and the desire to see what comes next. This game is gorgeous.

10.) Sparkle HD
    From the studio that brought you Azkend HD, this is a really enjoyable puzzler with some of the best music I've heard in a game. The sound effects are spot on, and, basically, if you liked playing Stoneloops before Apple unceremoniously pulled it from the App Store, this IS the game for you.

With these 10 games, you won't be bored for quite some time!

Hopefully this helps some of you who just picked up iPads today!... :)

2. Mr.Bender macrumors newbie

I would also add field runners to your list, the game is really addicting

From my iPad

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Field Runners is good. BUT, it's a little too open-ended to be a real "game." It's mostly "Here's a board, now put stuff on it." I know some people really love that, but I prefer a more structured game to spend my time on. Plus it's not really a better game because of the iPad like some others are, and it's also a bit more of a rip-off because of the iPhone version.

I will wait and see, though. There are some updates coming out for it soon, apparently!

4. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

How about Wesnoth? Unbeatable price, hours of deep gameplay, and one amazing developer. Not a game to be overlooked.

5. stephg macrumors member

stephg

Azkend or Sparkle?

Thanks for posting your list. I love puzzle games. If I was only going to get one right now, would you recommend Azkend or Sparkle?

6. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I would probably...agh so hard to choose! Go with Askend HD first because it's a little different. Let me know what you think!

7. StopSign24 macrumors regular

I would vote Wesnoth and Plants vs. Zombies to be the two best games on the iPad right now.

8. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Battle for Wesnoth is epic! I wouldn't mind paying $10 for it. Hours of awesomeness for only a dollar :eek:. Biggest steal in the App store.

Rest of what I love:

Brothers In Arms 2: Global Front HD
    Need for Speed: Shift HD
    BioDefense HD - imho kicks the ass of Fieldrunners
    Geometry Wars
    Plants vs Zombies HD
    Modern Combat: Sandstorm HD
    1112 episode 02 HD
    N.O.V.A.
    Call of Duty: Zombies HD
    Mirror's Edge
    Warpgate HD
    Broken Sword: Director's Cut HD

9. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

10. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I see the price went up. Dude, after getting deep in the game, you'll find the $5 is nothing to support the dev, trust me. The fun I get from it is loads more than my $13 Mirror's Edge.

11. kaelell macrumors 6502

has anyone played all 3 racing games need for speed, real racing and asphalt? if so which of them is the best ?I only want to pay for 1 !

12. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I have all of them and I'd personally order them:

1. Shift - awesome graphics. Most fun out of the 3. Arcade-ish rather than sim.
    2. Real Racing - good sim racing but the AI is quite stupid. Graphics not as good as NFS.
    3. Asphalt - awful controls and sensitivity. I'd even rate Raging Thunder 2 a few steps better.

13. stephg macrumors member

stephg

Okay I'm getting it today. I will post back after I've had a chance to play it for a few days. Thanks for your reply!

14. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

15. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Yes, but the bomb placement is ridiculous, and it's still a little loose to be in my top 10. :)

stephg, go for it! Hope you like it. :)

16. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

One up for Pinball HD. It's a realistic experience somehow

I just wish they would hire some good table designers, I feel the current ones could use some improvement, they can get a bit boring after a while

17. kaelell macrumors 6502

I got to play shift & real racing briefing, although I actualy liked the real racing graphics, Shift was definatly more fun and involving. felt like a proper game rather then a tech demo.

18. DKatri macrumors 6502

Your iPad wrote that ?!:rolleyes:

19. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

Angry Birds HD for me.

20. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I want to buy it buy have the iPhone version. Is it really worth buying the HD version???

21. enigma2k macrumors regular

22. StopSign24 macrumors regular

That's the symbol for Openfeint (two words?), which is a take on Xbox Live or PSN for the iPad/iPhone.

23. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

No. Aside from HD graphics, the iPhone version is better, and now has more levels.

24. skidbubble macrumors 6502

No love for MiniGore in this thread? The iPad version is way better than it's iPhone counterpart, IMHO. It looks awesome on the larger screen. Plus, you don't have two-thirds of the screen obscured by thumbs.