My touch broke within warranty, will I get a new one from apple?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dingqy, Jan 10, 2009.

1. dingqy macrumors newbie

I've heard that they will give the 2nd gen touch because there is no 1st gen's available currently. Is that true?

p.s, mine is a 1st gen

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

though i have no idea what will happen, they're selling first generation touches on the apple refurbished store, so i don't see why you wouldn't get a first generation replacement. i wouldn't get your hopes too high. just accept whatever replacement you get.

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I think it depends on what they have, if you go to an Apple store they probably won't have any 1st gen so they might give you a 2nd gen, but if you send it in to Apple they do have 1st gen in stock on the refurb store so they might send you a refurb 1st gen.

BTW how did it break?

4. dingqy thread starter macrumors newbie

the problem is that half of the screen turned white but didn't affect other functions. Sounds like I should head for an apple store.

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Definitely sounds like it's time for a trip to the Apple Store.
    I doubt you'll get a 2G. They most likely have a bunch of 1G refurbs in the back.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You will get a 1G refurb, Apple doesn't give 'upgrades' for broken iPods.

I've dealt with Apple regarding iPod replacements no less than three times (string of bad luck, unfortunately), and I always got one of the same model and generation in return. For example, the first iPod I had that became faulty was a 5.5G 30GB iPod classic; this happened well after the 6G came out and the 5.5G ceased to be available, but I still got a refurb 5.5G in return.

Apple Stores also tend to have old model refurbs on site, and considering the 1G iPod touch was only a year ago they would probably still have refurb models out the back.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yeah, hell there are probably still 4G and 5G iPod's back there.

8. dingqy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. The other question is that will the refurb model come without any scratches? I don't count on a totally new ipod, just hope it looks like a new one.

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

every refurb product i've ever encountered has looked new. i think you should be fine.

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I've had two out of my three refurbs come with scratches. Especially my replacement 2G iPod touch, that thing looked as if it had been used for a couple years.

Apple says that refurbs may come with slight cosmetic imperfections such as scratches.

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

I agree, Apple does say that but it is very very surprising as refurb is suppose to be a "cleaned and repaired" device with a new screen and mostly new parts which were found broken (this is why they are almost the same price, just about 40 cheap).
    You will get the refurb one for your iPod. By the way, did you happen to spill water on your iPod? Because this sounds like water damage and if so- they will not cover it (there is a sticker inside that lets them know).

12. j_appel macrumors member

According to the refurbished iPod section on the Apple online store, all refurbished iPods come with a new battery and new outer shell.

13. dingqy thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. Unless the humid weather here would affect the sticker...
    The scene is: I was playing rolando, and suddenly half of the screen turned white. So weird!

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

Ah... then that is a different case altogether. Well as stated above by many other posters: chances are very high that you will get a refurb 1G.