My trip to the Apple store for fake iPhone 4 glass back

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by eshroom, Sep 30, 2010.

1. eshroom macrumors 6502

Having purchased a purportedly authentic OEM Apple glass back on eBay (from a 200,000+ UK based seller), which turned out to be fake and broke within a day, I embarked on a journey to the Apple store to get a certificate proving it was counterfeit thus allowing me to get my money back from Paypal. After replacing the glass back, the "genius" gave me a "slap on the wrist"

"I've replaced the back, but I'm going to have to give you a slap on the wrist. Firstly, the quality of this glass back is shocking, it could easily have damaged your battery or other parts of the phone. By changing it yourself, we should really count it as a voided warranty.
    "Secondly, your iPhone is hacked. Hacked iPhones are not covered by warranty and were something wrong with it, we wouldn't fix it. Please un-hack your iPhone next time you come to the Apple store."

2. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

3. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

4. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

5. MoLiva macrumors newbie

The fact that they helped you is great on their part. The guy giving you a "slap on the wrist" seemed like a really cool person who didn't want to screw you out of your warranty so he basically covered for you this time, but gave you a friendly warning of what could have happened.

That's A++ customer service right there

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Am I reading your post incorrectly? It doesn't sound to me like the seller gave you a "slap on the wrist," but rather that the Apple Store employee with whom you were dealing did.

7. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

the whole damn original post makes no sense

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I agree, I don't see any "genius" calling it a "hacked iphone", but last time i call it on a troll my post got deleted, so enjoy...:rolleyes:

9. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I think he means to say.. "The seller caused me to get a slap on the wrist."

10. james92se macrumors 6502a

Ditto. I read his post like 10 times and was confused why the seller would reprimand him.

11. eshroom thread starter macrumors 6502

OK... Seller, genius, cc rep, whatever. Most of the people reading my post understand what I meant. The first couple of replies hit the spot. The rest were just facetious or sarcastic

Whatever. The point was the guy was friedly and a great customer service rep (and I'm sure part time seller, he did after all sell me a replacement back). Info on this forum and elsewhere along with a tab under the cover saying if it is removed it would void the warranty encouraged me to believe I could replace the cover myself without damaging the warranty. The simple fact of the matter is that this is simply not true, so beware.

As a bonus he was very nice about my "hacked" phone and yes he did say "hacked" and not jailbroken, which I found even more amusing.

Ps. I don't like being called a troll and find it completely unjustified. If someone would like to enlighten me as to why my post may have been regarded as a "troll's" remark I would be grateful. I was just trying to inject a touch of humour into this forum by conveying my experiences.

12. Jetaray macrumors member

A better title for the thread may have been to say “Apple store employee gives warning about jailbreak.” This gives the reader a better idea why you made the post.

I read a lot of posts here and many people type as if they are talking to close friends. I know when I talk to good friends they know me well enough to be able to fill in the details I leave out when discussing things. When talking to strangers you just can’t do that or you get what we have here, accusations and such. Calling you a troll is just another example of misunderstanding what people write. It is the nature of discussions in a forum so no need to take it personal, because it will continue to happen.

13. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

I wouldn't go as far as to call you a troll, but I would say you are not much of a story teller my friend.

Your English is quite strong and you make perfect sense 3/4 way through your paragraph, but IT IS your very last sentence that really throws the reader off and confuses them. I must admit, I was kind of frustrated after reading that last sentence and did not understand exactly who you were talking about when you said "the seller" and why did this so called "seller" replace your glass?!? If the sentence before this said that you went to the Apple store to get a CERTIFICATE to allow Paypal reimburse your money from this "fake" product purchase.

Where did this Seller replacing your glass come into the picture all a sudden?

Just like a poster before me said, you are writing a story for the masses on the internet, this is not a half drunken pub talk amongst your close friends who might have a better understanding of you and your efficient storytelling methods...

I took the time to fill in some of the vital information in your story below. the stuff I added is in bold, if your OP was written more like this, I'm sure it would have prevented accusations of you being a troll from the few confused readers above.

. .
    I don't mean to sound pretentious by proofreading and correcting your story, but just saying... It's best to entertain and amuse your readers on these forums, rather than confuse and frustrate them with vague stories.

14. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Yeah - on the Internet, things such as grammar and spelling really matter. It's all we have to form an opinion of you from.

Especially true considering that online in a forum, we lack the additional clues, etc. gathered from things such as facial expressions, body language, and tone of voice.

15. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I highly doubt that. I'm a kollidge gradyouate with a magir in Inglish and had no idea what you were talking about. :eek:

16. eshroom thread starter macrumors 6502

As an english graduate you will appreciate how important context is in describing a situation. If, having read the context, you still couldn't figure it out, you don't really deserve your degree.

Thanks for your helpful contribution to the thread. You're a grade A asset to the forum.

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Eshroom, you really need to adjust your attitude. The fact is that you wrote a very confusing post that made little sense to several people. That's not their fault; it's yours. Asking for clarification in such a situation is perfectly reasonable, and getting upset and calling names in response is not.

18. Jetaray macrumors member

Well I thought TB07-NJ post was kind of funny. If you stand on a stage and do something silly people do throw tomatoes once and a while.

The misspelling of words in the sentence was a dead give away that his post was a friendly ribbing. At least that is how I would take it.

19. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Definately a ribbing, not sure about the friendly part. :D

20. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Major English I had graduated "A-" cupcakes but I'm American for my seller. But the buyer never mentioned Burger King when he had his car fixed after I paid for context. Degrees and me with Kevin Bacon I believe.

I appreciate the compliment. I've always been told I had a big asset in 1947 for being born in this situation. For years I retired after taught many times language mornings were very tough. Contributions are ENGLISH for good folks during the latter days towards the end. Just a modicum police please.

Thank You.

21. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Okay, so back to the glass situation from the grammar lessons...

I called Apple yesterday after reading this thread to inquire as to whether I could get my back glass panel replaced (I dropped it on the pavement one week after purchase-no case). I was told to come see a Genius, and they would replace the whole phone. After reading this post, it would appear that replacing only the glass is an option.

Has anyone else successfully had their back glass replaced by Apple, either free or for a price? I'd be more than willing to pay for the repair as it was clearly my fault (other than the fact that Apple was completely out of cases when I purchased by iPhone 4).

22. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020