My Try-On Experience 42MM was excellent at Southpoint - Durham, NC (Full Review)!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dfine1966, Apr 10, 2015.

1. dfine1966, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I had an appointment today to try on the Apple Watch at 3:30 PM. I went with my daughter with fear in my eyes. Before I left to go to my appointment I had read on the forums all these terrible experiences people were having. Limited time and how many watches and bands you could try on. Lucky for me, the experience was quite the opposite.

I arrived at the Southpoint Apple Store in Durham NC at about 3:20 PM. I was greeted right away by very nice staff. They took my name and looked up my appointment. They told me it would be a few minutes. They then directed me over to the area where you can actually try the watch. These watches were attached to a stand, but they were fully functional to try the features. Then a nice Apple lady came over to me and ask my name to confirm my appointment. I was then brought over to the try on table.

I had a couple options I was looking at. I wanted to see the Apple Watch SS 42mm with the Black Leather Classic Buckle and the Black Leather Loop(both sizes). I also wanted to see the 42mm Black Sport model and the Silver Sport model.

No problem. Did I mention that I wear my watch on my right hand, not my left. I have Carpal Tunnel in my left wrist, so I have worn a watch on my right wrist for 8 years now.

Back to the try on session. She saw that I had put the watches I liked in my favorites already, so she knew what I was looking for. When I told her that I wanted to put it on my right hand, she said, no problem and switched the band around so it would work correctly.(To answer the question if the watch was actually on? No it was not. She did turn it on for me to see if we can switch the orientation. But,we couldn't because it was in Demo Mode)

First I tried the 42mm SS with the Large Black Leather Loop and the band was too big. It did look really nice though and fit nicely. I did take a close look at the band knowing some people saying it had a plastic look and looked cheap. I don't know what they were looking at, because what I saw was a very nice leather strap, that look like leather and had a nice feel. She next let me try the Black Leather Loop medium band and that fit perfectly. I tested to see how strong the magnet was and it wasn't coming off.

Next I tried the 42mm with the Black Leather Classic Buckle. The band itself was very nice. Felt nice to my skin and looked like a good classic buckle. The only problem, is like all the other classic leather bands I have had owned in the past, the holes are always in the wrong spot for my wrist. Either it is too tight or too loose. If you are getting the Black Leather Classic Buckle, make sure you try it on to see if it fits you right.

Finally I tried on the Black Sport with Black Rubber Band and the Silver Sport with the White Rubber Band. The bands were ok. They were better than I expected. They didn't rub my skin that much. Usually I can't wear rubber bands with watches because it hurts my wrist. The Sport Watches themselves, in my opinion, looked cheap in comparison to the Stainless steel. My daughter thought they were very nice, but she said they didn't look like an expensive watch. She did say the SS Apple Watch looked really nice and looked like something I would wear. My daughter still wants to get the Apple Sport for herself for her birthday in a few months. For her, she likes it, especially the Silver Sport with White Band and Pink Band.

The 42mm SS Apple Watch itself looked gorgeous. Even with people trying these on all day the watch look really nice. The Apple person did wipe the watch and band down every time I took it off. She made sure I put the watch on and took it off over a matt.

After trying all of those watches on she let me put on the the ones I wanted to see again before I made a decision of what I wanted to buy. I had narrowed it down to the 42MM SS Apple Watch withe the Black Leather Loop and the Black Leather Classic Buckle. My daughter said it was an easy choice. She liked the Black Leather Loop on me and I agreed.

The Apple person told me if I want to order, I could use one of their computers or I could use my phone if I have the Apple Store App. I decided to use my phone with the app and it was easy. That took two seconds to do.

Overall, my experience was very pleasant. She gave me excellent service and did everything to help me make a good decision. Changing the band was very nice of her so I could use it on my right wrist.

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Thanks for the detailed review, particularly of this location. Did you see Chloe the service dog? (Apple lets her owner have her there while he's working.)

3. dfine1966 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have always had good experiences there. Sad to say I didn't see Chloe. It was quite busy in there today though.

4. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

We did our pre-orders last night, but had considered going in this afternoon to poke at the demos, but the current pollen tornado in town has me all but asthmatic. :)

6. dfine1966 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just go sometime this week or next week. They really have a nice setup there. You can see how the watch works and even try on a few bands.

I know what you mean about the pollen. I opened up my windows in my car today while I was waiting to pick my daughter up from school. All of a sudden the pollen was inside my car. I had to take a cloth and wipe inside down and then shut the windows.

I have to wait till June till I get my watch. But I didn't know what I wanted till today at the store. I was actually up at 3:00 AM and could of ordered what I ended up buying, but at first I was leaning towards the Black Classic Leather Buckle. So I am glad I waited.

7. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

My Try-On Experience 42MM was excellent at Southpoint - Durham, NC (Full Revi...

Went in this morning around 10:30. Try on table was already booming. They offered to set me up with an appointment, I declined and moved along to the demo wall. I got about 15 minutes with a watch before the store started getting claustrophobic. I was very pleasantly surprised with the OS functionality. The only thing that felt sluggish was the maps app. And now I understand why the watches are tethered to the iPad demos--the iPads mirror what you do with the watch as you navigate the menu and explain each function.

8. splogue macrumors regular

splogue

So cool! I've never seen a dog there, and I've been many times. I always go after work or on the weekend, though, so that might be why.

I'll have to keep an eye out for her.

9. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I wonder if your daughter would actually enjoy the SS one more. ;)

I had surgery for my carpal tunnel and it cured me. Look into it.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

I had a good experience at the North Michigan Avenue store, as well.

11. gwynne, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

My Try-On Experience 42MM was excellent at Southpoint - Durham, NC (Full Revi...

Chloe was there this morning. She's a black lab who is usually napping under one of the middle display tables, near her owner. He's a sales rep who I think has a sight issue. She's probably easy to miss because she's so chill and under the table.

(I guess it goes without saying, but you're not supposed to approach service dogs. I asked her owner if he has problems with kids and stuff running up to pet her, since the store gets so crowded, he said it's usually not a problem.)

Edit: she also has her own Apple ID badge with her name.

12. danniexi macrumors 6502

That's adorable.

13. dfine1966 thread starter macrumors 6502

She probably would, but for school and activities she said it wouldn't be practical.

14. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I think I just missed you. I was in Durham yesterday for some psych testing and I wanted to pop in to the store to see the Apple Watch yesterday. I got the try on station that was on the right of the table closest to the door, very nice older lady was helping me. My appointment was at 4, we might have seen each other! I did see the service dog that day, she also seemed very nice.

15. splogue macrumors regular

splogue

I'm not a huge dog lover, but I truly respect a business that would do all this to make an employee feel welcome.

Plus the name badge thing really is adorable.

Now I have to go again in hopes of seeing this.

16. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Another Chloe anecdote: her owner sold me my last MacBook Air, and we chatted a bit while we waited for the inventory pull (it was a Saturday). He said that she's still basically a puppy (I think he said 2 years?). He said she does her job, but then she knows when the work day is over, and when her harness comes off at home she goes wild playing.

Needless to say I'm in that store a bit too often, although in my defense I'm most often making purchases for my office. I usually, very softly, say "Hi, Chloe", when I walk by her.

Sorry for the huge derailment here. I was taken aback to see my home zipcode store mentioned in a thread, and then wanted to give Chloe a shoutout. But this store also has good folks and my experience cruising the demos this morning was very satisfactory. Just beware the Saturday crowds.

17. splogue macrumors regular

splogue

Ha!

The derailment was the best part of the thread.

Thanks for that.

18. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I, too had a great experience tonight at the Victoria Gardens location in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I was worried the 38mm would be too small, but I'm glad I went with my gut and ordered it because it was a perfect fit. I pre-ordered the stainless steel with link bracelet, but while I was there I thought I would try the milanese loop as well and I fell in love. I ordered a milanese right there in the store. I can't wait!

19. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I've seen Chloe before! :)

----------

Chloe is very chilled out. You'd like her.

----------

The OP's store is my regular store, but we're out in the Bay Area for vacation/work and we had a great try on experience at the SF flagship store on Stockton last weekend.

20. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Im in that area often so now im going to have to drop in and see if Chloe is there!

That's very cool of Apple to even give her a name tag!:D

21. LowesChevy48 macrumors member

LowesChevy48

Awesome! Btw your not far from me im near Raleigh

22. w00tini macrumors 6502a

wake forest here... both the Durham and Crabtree stores are top notch. Chloe is awesome!

23. LowesChevy48 macrumors member

LowesChevy48

Crabtree is where I tried mine on :)