My ultimate motivation: a healthier lifestyle... I need your input.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by U88, Jul 22, 2010.

1. U88 macrumors member

Hey everyone, first post here! I just want to share with you guys something kinda crazy (but in a good way!), but I hope it'll help me achieve something great in my life along with a reward that will make me feel accomplished enough to buy it with satisfaction.

I'm really tempted to buy a MBP to try something new as far as computers are concerned. With money, I'm looking at spending a little less than $2000. Currently I am holding a steady summer job away from college and the funds are coming in regularly. As I continue to save, I'm getting a lot closer to buying the MBP. However, you guys probably know the classic "Buyers Remorse", and I'm a real victim of it when it comes down to big purchases.

So here's my proposal. For a little while now, I've really wanted to change my lifestyle and become a healthier individual (which includes a change in diet and appearance). I'm not too bad right now, a 6-foot tall 19 year old male weighing in at 185 lbs, just clocking in at around 13% body fat. So I'm just about average, with some muscle there. However, there is so much I want to improve on. Everything from a 6-pack to a well defined diet that I don't have at all currently.

I need your guys' help. I want to buy this MBP and I feel like making a HUGE goal is my best bet to buying it feeling confident and knowing it all came from a positive life change. I start college again in late September, so I have the summer to really focus on my job and working out before I have to heavily prioritize the intense school workload and working out.

Am I crazy thinking about this? Just thinking about it, I'm super motivated. I've tried working out in the past, but with no clear goal in mind while doing it, I seem to get lazy and just quit. What do you guys think? Share your experiences with developing a healthy lifestyle, your workout plans... anything! :D

2. Jaffaman27 macrumors member

Hi!

I'm not sure if I really got what you were trying to say here.
    I honestly didn't really understand what the change to a healthier lifestyle has to do with saving money to buy a mbp..? And how would the healthier lifestyle avoid you getting buyers remorse..

Maybe it's just me..:rolleyes:

Anyway... I don't have buyers remorse really so I can't feel you there, but at least while you save your money you have time to think what you really need and want to do with that money. Maybe it's the mbp..maybe you will find something better while you are going..But going for a healthier lifestyle and start to work out.. I'm all for that. Just do it. Like the Nike-god proposes..

I'm as well a guy who eventually gets lazy and drops the work out plan. But I think it's all about finding your goal and the reason for doing it.
    Working out for the sole reason of looking cool on the beach and getting the shallow & dumb chicks to dig you.. I dunno. Might be a reason enough, but not for me. I think you need to want to be healthy, to have a good agility and all that ****. I don't think the goal should be something like getting a rocking body and a six-pack. That normally comes naturally when you start working out. But to do it the long run, you need a better reason. To do it for yourself, so you can live longer etc etc.

For me.. I'm still looking for the best reason for that. But I'm still eating healthy and working out every other day. Not that much, but forcing myself to do something. Otherwise I would just sit on my computer and work and eventually you could start seeing that from me..

Anyway... enough of rambling.
    Good luck with your goals and all..:cool:

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

get on a good diet man. I became a Pescetarian not too long ago and the effects just from the food I eat have been phenomenal. That backed up with exercise (even 30 min walks a day) are a big impact on what was (for me) a red meat eating sedentary lifestyle.

4. U88 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know it's kind of a silly goal just to buy a MBP after all that. But this idea is leaving me with good hopes... like every time I see my MBP, I would always be reminded that the reason why I had it was that I worked hard for it.