My upgrade is at a horrible time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kannesss, Sep 29, 2012.

1. kannesss macrumors 6502a

So I don't have an upgrade until Jan. 2014. It's not the time that is the issue, It's the time that My upgrade falls on. It's months after the 5S or whatever it will be called will be released. And I know they will most likely release the iPhone 6 in 2013. So my horrible dilemma is, should I just bite the bullet now, buy a 5, and by the time my upgrade rolls around again buy a 6, or should I just wait until the 6 is released, holding onto my 4S the whole time?:confused::confused:This is horrible

2. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

Wut. Seriously, some of you people make small things out to be bigger than they really are. Roll with the punches, find a way to get what you want. Find a relative or a friend with an upgrade willing to give you theirs. Save money and buy the phone unsubsidized. If not, well tough luck, bite your lip and just get through it.

3. comper macrumors member

4. noteple macrumors 65816

Your 4S will never be worth more than its worth right now.

5. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

'Horrible' is a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

It is perhaps 'unfortunate' that your upgrade month falls a few months after Apple typically releases a new phone.

If you enjoy being part of the masses who like to preorder in the middle of the night or stand in long lines at stores or get their orders messed up/delayed by their carriers, then find out that there are hardly any accessories available for the phone because it is a new design, then your decision is already made - at some point you will need to pay the extra money and buy a new phone so that your upgrade cycle falls in September or October.

6. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Assuming there will be a 5S. Is that what everyone thinks? I hope so because I have the 4 and did not get the 4S because of the huge let down. But I did order the 5. So I am hoping there is a 5S so I won't feel like I missed out before my upgrade kicks in ;)

7. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

And the phone you replace your 4S with will never be worth more than it is now either...

8. astral125 macrumors 6502

Buy the current phone and immediately sell it. Save the money and use it as well as whatever you can get for the phone you have at the time to finance next gen phone.

9. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

According to your logic... You want him to buy the iPhone 5 at full price, and then sell it immediately and save the money he gets from selling it...

Someone please insert genius meme here:

10. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

Wait so you can't upgrade to 5 without paying full retail price?

11. noteple macrumors 65816

The point being

If you are going to use the 4S as a stepping stone a year from now it will be worth exponentially less.

Once the 5 was announced my 4S went from a high of $460 down to $260.

A 5 would be worth what you paid for it up to a week or so before the next iPhone announcement.

12. astral125 macrumors 6502

/sarcasm

13. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Correct

14. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Sell your 4S to pay for the difference of buying a 5 on full contract price. Now take the tampon out and go be a man.

15. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

You forgot this whole forum is about first world problems. There's no, "I have no food or house" section.

16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

10 mos. is virtually a year. I can understand, if maybe, 6 mos. out. Just get the 5 unless you're like me and have the patience to wait it out.

17. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Just buy the current phone outright and skip the 5s. Your upgrade will be waiting for you when the 6 comes out. This is the best way for anyone to get on track.

You can also sell the curret 4s to make the full cost of the 5 seem like a discount.

18. pat park macrumors 6502a

Ha!
    I concur, sell the 4S to help offset the price and be done with it!

19. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

There's a big grey area however between having nothing to chew on, and perceiving the prospect of having to use your 700 dollar smartphone for another year and a half as 'horrible'.

20. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

KEEP YOUR 4s! TRUST ME COMING FROM A 4s ISN'T THAT BIG OF AN UPGRADE.

21. twowinns macrumors member

Here's your solution......Just get married and add your spouse to your plan.

He/she will immediately qualify for a new phone at the subsidized price. You can then take the new phone from them and give them your old one (this requires having a spouse that could care less what version of the iPhone they have). Then, now this is the best part, your upgrade timing alternates each year. Each time there is a new iPhone model, you use the person's upgrade that is eligible, and get the latest device. You continue to repeat the cycle each year.

With this approach, you always have the latest iPhone at the lowest possible price. It's worked for me for 5 years running. Of course, I was already married.

You just need to decide how bad you want the latest model.

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

You have a few options as people said. You can sell your iP4s and buy the new one or just wait. I can upgrade now and I'm waiting until the "dust settles" and getting mine. A part of me even wants to wait until the iP5s comes out. Being on the "s" cycle, the cases are out and more to pick from. My iP4 is working great with iO6 and maybe I'm getting old, but not as excited on getting a phone as much as I use too.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Horrible indeed
    [​IMG]

24. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

25. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Well if someone was third world, they probably wouldn't be reading this forum would they?