My users have moved from BB to iPhones, roaming data nightmare.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wkdtime, Jul 2, 2012.

1. wkdtime macrumors newbie

I work in the IT dept as a server tech, we decided to take the plunge and offer iPhones along side BB's.

Im not here for the pros and cons of BB's email to iPhones active sync/Email etc.

Long story short, we have noticed one major pitfall.

80% of our user base are consultants and travel to Europe, Asia, ROW (Rest of the World), so keeping our roaming data as low as possible is what we strive for, the costs can be astronomical, £5.50 P/MB in asia!!

With BB's if a user recieves an email with an attachment regardless of size, the user has to manually choose to download the attachment.

Now with iPhones, any attachment smaller than 1mb is downloaded automatically along with the entire body of the email. An average user now sees 30-50MB of data usage appose to 2-8MB we averaged on our BB's just from email.

It just begs to belief that we have 10 year old Nokias using EAS (active sync) that have settings to allow to download attachments automatically or not and you can even set the sizes, yet with the iPhone you cant!

Im not the only one in this boat, we have had to resort to using expensive third party solutions (Good technology) to allow us to use email on our iPhones without automatically downloading attachments less than 1mb.

Is this really such a big ask, to be able to control if attachment are downloaded automatically or not?

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

The problem is not the device but it is the user. You're complaining about the cost of roaming data which has nothing to do with the iPhone. How about you turn off data and access your email when you are around wifi. It's not that hard .

3. wkdtime thread starter macrumors newbie

They didnt have to do that with BB's, or Nokias, Or even android devices..These people when abroad are travelling on business, sometimes they are at client sites (mostly oil refinaries), sometimes they are at very remote locations in Asia or middle east and have no WiFi to jump on to.

Why cant we be given a choice to weather attachments are downloaded automatically or not?

I like your approach though, kind of reminds me of the "Your holding it wrong" :rolleyes:

4. mrbrown macrumors 6502

I've got an even better suggestion - buy unlocked iPhones and provide your overseas travelers with local SIM cards. Roaming costs are ridiculous.

5. Twixt macrumors 6502

Without asking for much refinement attaching a document to a message using iphone was impossible not so much time ago.
    I guess it comes from iOS that was not designed for any business purpose (even the most basic ones). Android might be much better to that extend by I suppose you do not intend to have too many co existing platforms.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Sure if you call them as a real smartphone! As for me I like opening my emails with everything included not a half baked email. Especially what i am having rite now with windows phone.

A smart company in this economy dont allow roaming as long it saves millions of $$$$ yearly unless your employees will make you millions on a trip where he/she needs data roaming. I am sure those high exc at RIM/nokia dont fly first class and prolly even took a big cut on the salary. Or smarter company buy unlocked phones so their employees can get a local sim! Simple as that.

7. Twixt macrumors 6502

+1 for local SIM which is the way it is managed at my place

8. wkdtime thread starter macrumors newbie

I do call Android a real smartphone, the email on there is not half baked, the user is given a choice if he/she wants to download an attachment, thats all were asking for, is choice.

Our company is trying to make the most out of tech, were trying to make our staff more productive by offering different ways to communicate, our iPhones are even linked to our Cisco call manager, but that doesnt mean we dont look after our pennies, especially in this climate.

A smart company looking to break into the corperate environment should try and see what people in that sector really want, if they did then there would be no need for the third part companies to offer more granular control over email attachments..

There is obvioulsy a big need for this feature otherwise companies catering to our needs would not exists.

----------

That isnt easy to manage and logistically it makes things complicated..

We would need to advertise two numbers for each user thast goes abroad, our user rely on sales leads etc and we cant just simply publish two different mobile numbers on their business cards, thats very unprofessional..

Why should we have to do all that when all Apple has to do is allow people to stop automatic attachment downloads.

Were not talking about roaming voice, or browsing the internet etc, were talking about people being able to choose to download attachments less than 1mb when travelling abroad.

This is a bit like the earlier MMS argument back in 2007, everyone on here was saying, who uses that? its dated? Why not email pictures? Then the same people were praising Apple for including the feature later on!

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well I'm sure there are bunch of third party apps that can get it done instead of using stock app, or even better in house app which is what we have for our iDevices!

But reality I can bet you your sales rep do more personal stuff on their iphone than getting work email with pictures attachment.

Yes you going to tell me with nokia and blackberry they could have done the samething doing personal stuff! Well not really if you really want to surf the net or do personal stuff on crackberry and nokia is an awful experience for me.

I know that as I fact. I've seen myself doing more personal stuff than ever before on a crackberry and nokia.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you are truly interested in seeing a change, your best bet is to contact Apple through their feedback process

However, Apple rarely institutes changes and options that will only affect a very small percentage of users

11. wkdtime thread starter macrumors newbie

This has nothing to do with personal stuff, we ran various tests on iPhones were email was just being used over the course of a month..just email..no browsing, no opening up email, just allowing the iPhone to download emails (EAS) on its own accord, it used 45mb on average over the course of the month compared to the 3-5mb that an android device consumed all because the iPhone had downloaded attachments of less than 1mb automatically.

The argument im making is absoultely clear to anyone who doesnt have their head buried up Apples arse (Not implying you ofcourse), the corporate sector and other IT guys in my position see this as a problem, its not a third party app we use, its a third party solution, that costs £££££ just to get round this one small and very annoying feature that cant be turned off.

----------

Thank you, but we've already tried that to no avail, but thanks for the suggestion.

12. aziatiklover, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012

aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Ok, but why use third party solutions that cost you guys $$$$$ when you can do a cheaper way in house solution?

Is it that hard to get a developer to developt an in house app for email then?

Outsource a company that makes app for entreprise?

Anyways, like i say I'm sure there are a lot of way for a company to save big money i know my bro does logistic analyst for big company.

13. oBMTo macrumors 6502

14. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

not sure where you work but that could prove a major headache if clients/customers/staff are trying to contact the roaming individual. having to continuously update the cell number, and not to mention go out and buy a local SIM.

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

And we didn't use to have to wear seatbelts in cars, helmets on motorcycles, air was clean, sex was dirty, etc.

What I mean by that is that things change. You have to be prepared to accept these changes if you wish for progress.
    If you want a phone that does not have said charges (which are applied by your provider and not Apple) there are options out there. Even staying with BB is an option, albeit not an attractive one at the moment.
    Another option is to refine your smart phone policies for said employees. Even localizing the SIMs is a good idea.

I'm sure you did your research on this before you changed over. So what did your research show you for roaming charges from your provider during your testing?

16. Dunbar, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

Dunbar macrumors 6502

Have you looked into your carrier's international data plans? AT&T now has an international plan that costs $35 a month for 120MB. Verizon has a 100MB plan for $25 a month. You can turn it on only the months you need it. It's probably cheaper than international roaming charges on a "data sipping" BB...

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

In this case it would effect more users as unlimited data is gone and more and more people want to cut cost as much as possible.

I agree it is crap that there is no option to say do not automatically download attachments over network. (wifi it only)

18. Twixt macrumors 6502

I keep only UK cell number on business card but have multiple SIMs.
    My various numbers are in my email signature's footer, I have these various numbers for a long time so it does not disturb any client.
    We are SME in advisory field with really small and stable customer's basis so this specific situation helps I guess

19. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

You should write your recommendation to Apple

20. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Are these roaming costs really just coming from e-mails being instantly downloaded, or are you just realizing that it's far more pleasant for iPhone users to browse the web and use apps, than it is for a bb user? Because I can assure you this is part of the reason as I own both devices.

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

IMO Apple's approach to Data Roaming is very poor compared to other platforms.

There just aren't enough options and it doesn't behave like other devices.

It feels like a lot of the decisions were made based on AT&T policy in 2007 and never updated.

As an example, it's illegal (and was never the norm) to charge someone to receive an MMS while roaming in the EU, yet it's not possible to receive an MMS on an iPhone whilst roaming without the "Data Roaming" toggle being set to ON.

Due to the law, and common sense, carriers here don't bill you for the data used when delivering the MMS, but if you have to turn on Data Roaming on then that becomes near impossible to achieve.

Other OSes (including Android and Nokia's Symbian) have an option in the MMS settings to automatically download MMS, even when roaming, getting around the issue.