My watch notified me of time to get home when I sat in my car

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TekNullOG, Jul 26, 2015.

1. TekNullOG macrumors newbie

My watch notified me of the time it would take to get home when I sat in my car. The maps app wasn't open. I didn't ask Siri either. I can't seem to find any details about such a feature.

Perhaps it's an iOS 9 thing (I'm on beta 4).

Has anyone else experienced this? It was pretty damn cool because I was heading home.

Let me know

2. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Yep, just noticed this. Seems to have begun since the latest iOS9 beta.

3. sausje macrumors newbie

sausje

Same here. And it informed me about the travel time to get to the office this morning.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Without asking? I am not sure how useful that would be. I have made the trip thousands of times.

5. JayLenochiniMac, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's useful to know the time based on traffic conditions even if you already know the approximate time. However, you can always turn it off on the iPhone's side. Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Frequent Locations.

It's simply a more active version of the same notification we've always had. Previously we got this from swiping down to Notification Center on iPhone (you get something like "Traffic is unusually heavy; it'll take you XX minutes to get home") or by swiping to Maps glance on Watch where the directions to home is prepopulated.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

How does Apple determine the traffic conditions? What service does it use?

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is about traffic conditions and the amount off traffic and time to get there. Living in a large city this is EXTREMELY informative.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple Maps.

10. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Good feature, I reckon. Pity there's no sound/haptic alert to the notification.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Thanks for that information. BUT, where does Apple maps get the "current" traffic information?

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Multiple sources and the main source is from people's iPhones. They also get data from local DOT's.

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

15. Roller macrumors 68020

Having my watch and/or phone automatically let me know about slow traffic conditions in sufficient advance time to let me choose an alternate route would be helpful. Of course, I can check this manually by looking at Apple or Google maps, but I rarely remember to in the morning.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep, my Lexus must do the same as it tells me where traffic has slowed or there is an accident, road construction and suggest alt routes

17. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

My daily notification in Widgets is usually along the lines of "Right now it would take you 37 minutes to drive to work".
    It's also started telling me on Saturday morning how long it will take to drive to the supermarket. It's definitely recognising new driving patterns.

18. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I found this very annoying - red dot showing whenever I drive. I turned off notifications for Maps right away.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is also getting 'smarter'. Today is my day off and I usually go to the gym this morning. When I drove out of my garage it gave me time to the gym instead of time to work.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is not a iOS 9 feature though. We've had Frequent Locations for quite a while in the Notification Center in iPhone and in the Maps glance in Watch. It's just now more active with notifications.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I know it is on the iPhone in Notifications but we are talking about the :apple:Watch. So you are saying it is not an iOS9 feature and location notifications are coming to :apple:Watches automatically through iOS8? If so it is new to iOS8 too because until recently (when I updated to iOS9) I never had them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We got them in Maps glance in the Watch but not as a notification like above. Frequent locations have always been mirrored to Maps glance. Whether or not you've noticed this would depend on if you actually use the glance. It's now more active in iOS 9 in the form of notifications.

23. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Yes, there does seem to be a new minor bug with this - a persistent red dot even when the notifications have been cleared.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Probably needs an updated WatchOS to squash this bug.

25. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So it is a new feature in iOS9. Opening and swiping back and forth through Glances while driving is extremely dangerous and also requires you to 'remember' to look.

I have paired Glances down to just a couple of things (Batt, Remote, Weather, HR) because it is too much swiping to find things.

It just shows up on your :apple:Watch like a regular Notification and you must Dismiss it. It is vey convenient and completely proactive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]