My WD Mybook just had tto be reformatted, is that a bad sign?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by to1986, Mar 8, 2010.

1. to1986 macrumors regular

I bought a WD my book for mac 1TB, towards end of Jan. I have a 2008 13" unibody Macbook running Snow leopard 10.6.2. the external HDD had been working perfectly fine with time machine, backing up regularly as it should without any issues. However today I ran into my first problem, where it simply got stuck on 'indexing backup' for several hours. After losing patience I used disk utility which confirmed there was a problem, and told me the disk could not be repaired and needs to be formatted. Luckily I was still able to access the disk and was able to copy over a few important files. I just formatted the disk using disk utility and i am running a fresh backup as I write this. My question is whether this is a warning sign of impending hard drive failure, or is this a perfectly normal occurrence that happens every so often? I'd rather act now than wait and lose anything important because of a dodgy hard drive.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Look at the S.M.A.R.T. status shown in Disk Utility.

Most probably it was just a corrupt partition table/header, nothing physical. It happens, but not often.

3. to1986 thread starter macrumors regular

Its says S.M.A.R.T status is 'not supported', but will SMART status be verified for an External HDD?

4. LiteSpeed2Endor macrumors newbie

Just had this happen to my WD Green 1TB in my enclosure. Hit verify, said run repair, then ran repair and at the end it said to reformat the drive, but here is access to the contents first. Did my transfer, got it reformatted and my data back onto it. All is good so far.

I believe it stemmed from a unsafe removal while in Windows. I use MacDrive with Win 7 Pro and I suddenly got the blue screen, and when I rebooted it said the drive was not removed safely and may have errors.

Just when I restore some faith in the Windows franchise, and this :rolleyes:

5. LiteSpeed2Endor macrumors newbie

Also, SMART is not supported over USB.

I think you should be fine. If you're worried, give WD a call or email and see what they think.