My white imac takes ever so long to load up, after i turn it on.....help pls

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joeysteel, Mar 9, 2008.

1. joeysteel macrumors newbie

joeysteel

hello.... people

My white iMac takes long to load up anything up to 4mins.
    i get a white screen and hear my hard drive spinning then eventually it loads up and works as good as it always does.

should i be worried or what!!!!!!

2. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

whenever mine slows down I clear the cache/history and then repair permissions. That speeds it up some. Good luck.

3. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

Main menu is your best friend. http://www.santasw.com/ Heres the link. I would clear all your caches and history. After you do that post back and tell us if anything helped.
    -Robert :apple:

4. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Mine's slow right now, too, but my problem is that my hard drive is about maxed out. My user folder is huge, too.

I had it in at the Apple Store getting fixed about a month ago, and they wiped it (I had my TM backup) and it was blazing fast with nothing on it.

Wish it could be like that all the time! :(

5. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

You could consider to never shut down your iMac ever again.
    I decided to only log-out of the system and from what I've experienced it keeps my iMac running smoother, quieter and quicker than shutting it down and restarting it every day.

Last week I had shut down my iMac after an extended period without restarts. After the restart applications like Safari and Mail started up much slower than with a simple log-out.
    Normally my iMac is very quiet, but after the shut-down and restart it made much more noise.
    I had to repair the permissions and run some maintenance scripts to get the system back to the quietness and the speed it had.