My Wi-fi with 4.2.1 is worse than 3.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iNtaCt, Nov 28, 2010.

1. iNtaCt macrumors member

Some on who experienced the same problem ? And do u have the buggy installous too ? My installous can be watched only from one direction. THe other got only black screen and nothing else.

2. JulianL macrumors 65816

I don't know installous but for WiFi I have the same. I got my iPad on the day it launched in the UK (sometime in April I think, maybe early May) and 3.2 was almost unusable. 3.2.1 was a huge improvement but still not perfect and 3.2.2 was the same as 3.2.1. When I upgraded to 4.2.1 it got worse again, not as bad as the original 3.2 but definitely worse than 3.2.2 was.

Mine works better with some routers than others so it seems to be a case of the iPad WiFi not working well with certain routers, and probably then only under certain network conditions. I hope Apple sorts this out because if I could get to the point of having a perfect WiFi connection (or even only glitching once every couple of hours) then the iPad would be 10 times nicer to use for me.

- Julian

3. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

Threads like this makes me want to stick with 3.2.2 for my new iPad more. :)

4. DigitalRanger macrumors newbie

*knock on wood* but my wi-fi has been quite good.. I'm 2 rooms over from my wireless router and am getting 12Mbps to my iPad...

5. JulianL macrumors 65816

Folders are great though, and I'm finding the multitasking surprisingly useful, but on WiFi I hear what you're saying. If you are OK not having the new features then perhaps it's not a bad idea to sit things out for a while. There are rumours of 4.3 already. I think 4.3 was coming out for some specific purpose, and I've completely forgotten what that was, but maybe they'll also do more work on the WiFi stack in that release.

Isn't it great that we have this forum though? At least you can look before you leap.

- Julian

6. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

Subjectively, the wifi on both my iPad and my Touch are much slower with 4.2. It's very noticeable checking mail and surfing the net.

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

8. iNtaCt thread starter macrumors member

I can`t say its much slower but like 20%. When i put my 2 ipads at 1 spotm 3.2.2 got full wi-fi 4.2.1 got -1. Some one could say its not a big deal but sometimes when i`m playing air video its laggy. With 3.2.2 never got this issue.

9. DaveMD macrumors newbie

Many people encounter similar problem when I was surfing the Apple discussion forum. Some of them were able to resolve the wifi issue by doing the following:

1) Reset Network settings

2) Reset to factory settings

3) Reboot router

If all else fail, you can do a clean reinstall of 4.2.1.

10. jdcell100 macrumors regular

There's no difference at all if anything it's better

11. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

My wifi has actually been better it use drop with 3.2 but it hasn't droped at all since I updated.

12. jimHdk macrumors regular

For me WiFi is the same or better with 4.2.1 than 3.2.1 or 3.2.2. Speedtest verifies this.

13. iNtaCt thread starter macrumors member

but my speedtest didn`t.

14. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I've had no qualms with 4.2, even when it was still GM. Internet connectivity is fine. Nothing is slow. Ever.

15. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

16. klover macrumors 6502a

20% isn't "much" slower? My gawd man...I hope you're wrong.

17. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Air Video? Do you mean the app? Maybe you should be sending a message to the developer site for the app if you've got performance issues between firmware.

Unfortunately, WiFi has turned every Tom, Dick, and Harry into a network admin in their home and few know about networking in general. I'm not saying this is the case in this situation but I'm always suspect when hearing about WiFi problems especially when some report different results with the same hardware in different environments.

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

For me, it's improved the connection on both my iPad and my iPhone 4. The Connection is a lot more stable at my router's optimum speed on 802.11g. Its still pig slow on 802.11n though. :confused:

19. iNtaCt thread starter macrumors member

May be thats the issue here. My routers are all on N standard.

20. heathpitts macrumors member

I never had a problem with mine disconnecting on 3.2.1. 4.2 disconnects randomly. Normally every couple of hours. WRT54G router.

21. barefeats, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

My iPad WiFi is connected to the Comcast Xfinity network via an AirPort Extreme.

Before upgrading iOS = 9Mb/s download, 10Mb/s upload
    After upgrading = 11Mb/s download, 11Mb/s upload

No disconnecting problems.

However, it's still slower than the MacBook Pro which gets 23Mb/s download on the same network going to the same test server (Portland, OR). Switch to the San Diego server on SpeedTest.net and I get 53Mb/s down. (For some reason, the iPad can't "see" the San Diego server.)

22. iNtaCt thread starter macrumors member

It`s strange.. My ipad is not slower than the macbook. Its the same when the ipad gets full wifi.

23. andyroochoo macrumors member

It's much better for me, can get signal where I never used to.

It works with public wifi spots now where as before, very very flaky.

Pleased with the upgrade for the most part..

24. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

iPad is almost unusable for more than 15 min on wifi.

Not sure what to do; I am using all apple equipment, and have done 2 restores. It gets dog slow, and (for instance) when using the abc player, it will stop streaming about 10-15 min in. Need to exit, reset wifi in settings, reopen app, resume play.

I'm lost- is this hardware related or what?

25. St. Germain macrumors 6502

When I first upgraded to the final version of 4.2.1 from 4.2 RC2, I was getting random wifi drops for the first time ever on my iPad with my Airport Extreme (dual-N.) That was with an upgrade. So I did a fresh install of 4.2.1 and haven't had any drops whatsoever since. I haven't had any other wifi issues since I did the clean install to 4.2.1 at home, work, or in public.