My wife and I share the same apple ID. With iCloud, if I add a new app...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FloridaMac, Jun 28, 2011.

1. FloridaMac macrumors regular

will it show up on both our devices? We have an iPad, and both of us have iPhone 4's. What about with contacts, photos, music, etc? Basically, I don't want to add an app, music, photo, contact, etc on my iphone and it also show up on her iphone. Will we need to have separate apple ID's? Thanks.

2. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i do think you will share a common iCloud.

you can, however, turn off iCloud syncing for contacts, or the auto-installation of apps you bought on one device onto other devices with the same AppleID

basically, you can do pretty much everything the way you did before. Some iCloud features, however, you might not be able to use

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You'll be able to use the same Apple ID for the App store, and setup a different iCloud IDs for each of the phones, that way your contacts, mail, etc will be synced separately.

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

You will, indeed, share a common cloud. Kind of romantic ;)

Essentially, you're just adding a device to the set of devices to by synced. Nothing special. Take all of the detail of it being your wife's phone and whatnot out of the equation and think of it as simply adding a device to your set of stuff to sync with.

5. FloridaMac thread starter macrumors regular

There seems to be some conflicting answers here. I thought I read where you could have the same apple ID but have different iCloud accounts so you could sync things separately.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You're correct. I'm doing this right now for my wife's phone. We have the same Apple ID for the App Store (so we don't have to pay for the same apps and music twice) but I have her iCloud setup with a different Apple ID, in order to keep our calendars, email, Photo Stream, Contacts, Notes, etc backup separate. This is much more convenient!

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

8. VSMacOne, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

EDIT: You're correct. This would stop the apps/music/books downloaded on one phone to automatically download on the other, but they would still show up in the Purchased History.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

You can have separate Apple IDs and not pay for the same apps twice. Thats what Home Sharing is for. We have 3 different IDs and use home sharing and share apps, music, etc. just fine with only one purchase. This is a rare thing for us since her music tastes suck (hehe) and we use different apps all the time. But its available should we need it.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What does this mean?
    vv

Ok, so I didn't solve ALL his problems. You guys answered the contact and photo part with the iCloud log-in advice. But Apps and music would be taken care of in my graphic. Just because I only solved half his problem I don't think it's fair to say it has "nothing to do with what the OP was asking."

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Unfortunately for me, our house is too far from the road for any decent internet. Thus, no WiFi and no Home Sharing :)

My bad. I edited my last post accordingly.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This mostly highlights the EXTREME need that Lion and Cloud.com need for a "Manage My Accounts" section that not only lets you set rules (share this calendar with these 2 accounts but not this 1, etc.) but also lets you merge/split accounts.

Ahhh... we can dream, at least.

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Agreed. As well as an option to permanently remove certain apps and mp3s from the Purchased list. Right now this feature is useless for me, because I have hundreds of apps that I've tried and removed after just a few minutes or days.

14. FloridaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I'm a little confused. You say you have the same apple ID but you set up her iCloud account up with a different apple ID? Did you just make up an apple ID for hers?

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly to understand what you're meaning. I've got wifi in my house just fine, a simple WAP will give you wifi all over your house in most instances (regardless of internet connection).
    But even you can just use the same computer to sync your phones too. Home sharing allows you to do just that, share. So different IDs are easily accomplished. Using the same apple ID is no longer required to share your stuff. Now you and the spouse can be free and independent, then just share what you wish.

16. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Sorry should've explained that. She used to have an Apple ID before we started using the same one, and so I just used that one for iCloud on her phone.

I don't have internet at all at the house. MyFi's and Satellite internet are way too expensive and unreliable.
    However, I had no idea that you could turn on Home Sharing and it would enable you to sync two iPhones with different Apple IDs and put the same apps (only paid for once) on both phones. Very nifty!
    Sharing an Apple ID is still easier IMO because I'm not tied to iTunes, which will be especially important come iOS5 with wireless back to the Cloud.

17. FloridaMac thread starter macrumors regular

I get that part but my main concern is with music and apps. I want to be able to add a new song for instance to my iphone or ipad and not show up on her iphone.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Here you go...

19. cube macrumors G5

You don't need internet to have a local network. Wired or wireless.

20. FloridaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Okay...so just so I understand the image correctly, if I go to HER phone and set music and apps to "OFF", that means if I put new music or apps on MY phone they won't show up on hers?

21. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That's exactly right.

22. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Simple as pie my friend.

Turn on Home Sharing on each system with the same ID. Then have your wife set up her own AppleID. So now you'll each have your own IDs but can still share apps, music, etc. via home sharing. Everyone wins.

23. FloridaMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everyone's help.