my wife got a REAL at home job

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aidricksdad, Jun 5, 2009.

1. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

im so excited she gets to stay home with the kids during the day and i save a butt load in daycare costs....its a big hotel chain and she does booking for them and they give her a pc and all the extras she needs....only bad thing is that i had to add a scond phone line and second dedicated modem but a small price to pay for her raising the kids instead of a stranger

anyone else work from home for another company?

2. Go Dog Go macrumors member

That's pretty nice, but I sometimes think it's better for the wife to get out of the house. They get all cooped up in there, and after a year of working/living at home, it's going to be strange.

3. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

My wife would love to find a legit at home job. She stays at home with the baby as it is, so this would be perfect for her to make a few extra bucks..

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

^^^ Same here...

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

My stepdad works from the house for Sears. Once a month he takes a short business trip around the state, but aside from that he never has to leave for work.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I hate working from home and can't wait to get publisher funding so I can rent out a small office/studio. The lack of interaction can drive one INSAAAANE. As I did once, briefly.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I wish my wife would give me more jobs at home.

Oh wait, nevermind. I misread the thread title.

8. mscott123 macrumors newbie

working at home is great as long as you stay away from the refrigerator!

:)

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I would love to work from home doing remote support for my customers. But trying to stay away from the fridge would be hard.

10. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

My fiancé is an animator and won't be having children, so she won't have to stay home taking care of non existent children :)

11. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

My office is in my home, but I spend a lot of days in the field doing inspections and survey work. The best of both worlds, most of the time. It also helps that I set my own schedules and have a good bit of flexibility as long as the work gets done.

No kids here, but my wife is disabled. Lately the routine is to get up before she does, put in an hour or so in the office, help her get around, then leave for the day.

The one thing I need to do is move my personal computer further away from my work desk. And I totally agree about the fridge being a problem!!!!

12. Surely Guest

Surely

My wife works for her company from home as well. Her company's headquartered in NYC, and so all of their west coast employees work from their residences. I guess it saves them on office overhead.

Her company gave her a laptop, a printer/copier/fax combo, pays for office supplies, and pays for our monthly phone and internet bills. Saves us almost $100 a month :cool: aidricksdad, you should find out if they'll pay for the extra phone and modem lines.

It's a sweet deal, and she knows how lucky she is to not have to commute in Los Angeles. Her commute is 30 steps from our bedroom to her home office!

She gets to travel every 6 weeks or so to NY, DC, San Fran, San Diego, Florida, and sometimes to Europe or Asia for her job, so she doesn't seem to get stir-crazy from not being in an office.

She says that she does miss the office friendships she had before we moved to LA (she worked for the same company in an actual office in Canada before we moved), but she appreciates the extra time she has to go to the gym, for a walk, or to spend with me :D. Plus, she can go to a coffee shop or a park and work there if she wants to.

As long as she gets her work done, she can make her own hours- she doesn't have to keep regular office hours.

Oh, and no fridge problems for her......

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've got a part-time at-home gig right now doing contract administration for a new high school construction project. Got set up with a computer, internet connection, VoIP phone, multifunction printer, office supplies, shipping account, etc. The company isn't local, so they save a ton on avoiding having to open an office here or have someone commute.

I'll still have site visits and regular site meetings and stuff like that, so I'll still be getting out of the house. But most of the work will be from home. Pretty sweet deal. Now if they can just drum up enough work in this area to bring me up to full time...

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I wouldn't actually want to work at home, but if you are home already, like my wife is, then working from home would be helpful.