Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lthompson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Here's the rundown: Preordered the 5 on my wifes line. Got it in and activated it on my line. Works great. Took her sim out of the 3GS she was using and cut it down to fit in my 4S that I restored to factory settings. As I was restoring the 4S in iTunes everything worked but it did not show her phone number. Everything works fine. However, when I text or receive a text she gets it also.

AT&T is sending her a new sim card. When I called to switch the line the guy told me I would need a new one. He had never heard of cutting a sim down to size. Should I wait and see if the new sim solves the problem?

The problem was in Messages. My phone number was listed under Send & Receive

Last edited:

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Here's the rundown: Preordered the 5 on my wifes line. Got it in and activated it on my line. Works great. Took her sim out of the 3GS she was using and cut it down to fit in my 4S that I restored to factory settings. As I was restoring the 4S in iTunes everything worked but it did not show her phone number. Everything works fine. However, when I text or receive a text she gets it also.

AT&T is sending her a new sim card. When I called to switch the line the guy told me I would need a new one. He had never heard of cutting a sim down to size. Should I wait and see if the new sim solves the problem?

Stupid question: Did you check the settings for iMessage? If you share the same apple ID I know it can get wonky.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Stupid question: Did you check the settings for iMessage? If you share the same apple ID I know it can get wonky.

that was the first thing that came to my mind. If you share an apple id, you are just asking for a disaster.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
We do share the same apple ID but this has never been a problem in the past.

Yes but with iOS 6, phone numbers and email addresses are now integrated. You need to set her up with her own iCloud address (she can still buy stuff from the store using your id since they are seperate) so that your iMessages do not end up on her phone.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Yes but with iOS 6, phone numbers and email addresses are now integrated. You need to set her up with her own iCloud address (she can still buy stuff from the store using your id since they are seperate) so that your iMessages do not end up on her phone.

This is the winning response. I had to set my wife up with her own iCloud account a few months back when out of nowhere our texts got all jumbled.

As paulrbeers said, give her an icloud account and continue to share apps/music/etc by sharing the ID for the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.